Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Poor thing, hope she recovers soon, bless her
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-08-2005, 01:36 PM
hi she is a lovely girl by the way,i hope it gets sorted asap for her and the pups.......... could it be she has a retained placenta from one of the pups? did you count them when she gave birth i know this can lead to infections etc
keep us informed how shes going and more pics of those little babys please when you have chance.
whats the line angel comes from she looks just like my old girl oh your making me broody for a boxer again!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Hi Paul....just spoke to Inca regarding Angel, unfortunately I did exactly the same with my first litter, gave mum to be calcium DURING pregnancy as this is what the breeder of my girl told me to do. We have since found out this actually increases the chances of eclampsia which my Rosie did end up having, a calcium deficiency, this happened on day 21 post whelping - as the pups were taking more from mum - because we had been supplementing her, her own body ceased to make its own calcium and shutdown, Rosie actually ended up in a coma, temperature so high it went off the thermometer, she started fitting, messed herself and was sick, she was foaming at the mouth and snorting really loud! She was packed tight with milk, it was literally running out of her, by the time we got her to the vet she was in a coma, my vet put her into the courtyard and hosed her down to try and bring her temperature down, then packed her in bags of frozen food from her own freezer! When she started growling at the nurse, we knew she was coming back to us. She stayed in the vets for 3 days in total, a vet bill of £1300, she came home with a cocktail of drugs and calcium (which is fine to give once they have whelped) and wasn't allowed to feed her puppies again. So we then had the task of weaning her pups.....and quickly! Thankfully they all survived and with Rosie's next pregnancy we didn't give her calcium during pregnancy, only afterwards and had weekly blood tests to check her calcium levels. But we were lucky, it never happened again, but I still get paranoid with each litter worrying it will!

Glad to hear Angel is back home now, hopefully your vet will have given you a calcium supplement to help her along and try and get those puppies weaned ASAP.

Good luck.......whoops, forgot to say what beautiful pups and mummy you have too!

Sharon
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2005, 06:03 PM
If you have a problem with a bitch a few weeks after whelping most breeders immediately think womb infection or eclampsia.Frothing at the mouth/sickness/stiff gait/ all classic signs of eclampsia... my S/I/L nearly died of eclampsia and we had a bitch with it too as did my S/I/L the one who had it herself. Once your bitch is diagnosed and treated she should be fine . The puppies look lovely, congratulations on your litter ..I do hope they will be ok..they have been fed by mum for the first few weeks of life..the most important time so they should be ok
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi, don't know anything about breeding but just wanted to say I wish Angel a speedy recovery!

Mum and babies are gorgeous
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 06:42 PM
just spoken to Paul and Angel is home..i didn't realise she was having calcium like CC said we don't give it now ..........Angel is doing fine and the pups are now weaning ok

so all in all things are ok

post pics of mum and babies soon..
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 06:48 PM
That's great news!!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks Inca fingers crossed for all of them..
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 06:50 PM
no probs ......... Angel is adorable

am getting to paul to post some pics later on as i told him we need a puppy fix LOL
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2005, 06:52 PM
You tell him Inca

Really glad she's home.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >