Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
So Darkwolf you basically came here to taunt people because you like to use e-collars. Got it. I'm not seeing much room for discussion with you here. since you keep making flounce posts about how awful we are.

There's a major logic fail here. If you cannot see the gator until it grabs your dog. If it's hiding in the brush and the dog cannot recognize it's there. There is NO WAY your e-collar would work. And there is no way to avoid them then.

"Avoidance training" doesn't really work when one cannot avoid something until it's on top of them.

However, everything I've read says to keep a bit further away from the edge of water and keep your pet on a leash.

(Also, I compared it to moving cars; you know, traffic...turning it into something about parked cars is ridiculous.)
You really don't get it do you. The point is the dog does the avoiding, you maybe do one training session were the dog is trained to avoid them when you have full awareness of the situation.
After that the dog does it itself.

It doesn't matter if the gators appearance is unexpected to you, the dog has much better senses than you and will be more aware of them than you are. You do not have to constantly maintain this type of training, unlike reward based.

Btw I think DW came on for a chat, you lot drove him/her off.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by promarc View Post
your off your trolley adam if they did that then they didnt fit a collar (not that barbaric thing you use) harness etc properly then did they pure and simple. adam im getting really sick of you lurking and jumping on a thread as soon as an e collar is mentioned. your a troll a menace to the canine world and should disappear. you would not trust your dog on a piece of rope yeah cos we know you love to zapp them in a sick way. i trust my dog 100% on the thinest piece of a dog lead, so this is were it goes wrong no trust and lack of training, so if your getting lots of phone calls because of this then maybe they shouldnt have a dog. as for you do us all a favour and go away, im sick of reading your barbaric post's and the constant i love to zapp dogs because your a lazy barbaric person.
Promac, your a fool if you believe that long lines/leads ect are a guarante of anything.
I just hope it doesn't get your dog killed.

Adam
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Got a lot of experience with alligators in Devon, have you Adam?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-02-2011, 12:31 PM
The world is a dangerouse place for dogs tbh, cars other dogs, snakes gators. It just depends on were you live.

Making sweeping idoitic statements about not having a dog in a dangerouse situation won't help anyone.

Btw snakes are more of a risk than gators (overall) and yes people do use e collars (very successfully) to train dogs to avoid them.

The more I read of some of the posters on here the less I think they actualy know what they are talking about.

Adam
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
The world is a dangerouse place for dogs tbh, cars other dogs, snakes gators. It just depends on were you live.

Making sweeping idoitic statements about not having a dog in a dangerouse situation won't help anyone.

Btw snakes are more of a risk than gators (overall) and yes people do use e collars (very successfully) to train dogs to avoid them.

The more I read of some of the posters on here the less I think they actualy know what they are talking about.

Adam
oh really Adam..cos your in the right and all the real trainers are wrong are they? lol.

funny how in every instance you side with the e/prong aversive peeps isnt it lol.

idiot statements eh? so u would leave toddlers in these situations would u? or is it the 'belt' for them
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Promac, your a fool if you believe that long lines/leads ect are a guarante of anything.
I just hope it doesn't get your dog killed.

Adam
thats rich coming from you its called trust he knows what i want and i know what he wants, and you calling me a fool is very rich after your training methods. in fact adam the thought of you and the way you train dogs makes me sick. my dog wont get killed he's safely on a harness in fact my training with a clicker is working a treat so ive as a first time dog owner have proved your barbaric methods dont need to be implemented as a training tool. lazy uneducated dog owners go to you for a quick fix which is doing more harm than good. so come on adam if i can do it with a simple clicker and praise why cant you.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:44 PM

Adam
I haven't seen many grass snakes kill dogs tbh - in fact I've only ever seen one grass snake in my lifetime, and in actual fact you are less than 10ft away from a grass snake at all times when out. More likely an attack if they were worse than gators.

And we don't know what we're talking about.

The only thing an e - collar can control, is significanlty the need for abuse on the part of the human. That's the only reason animals are abused - they are helpless. And so if it misbehaves rather than going through PROPER training, stick an e - collar on it and shock it, human gets the pleasure of abusing his dog in a seemingly lawful way! Not training at all - just bottling up the bad behaviour until the dog snaps! And we're idiots.

But lets not all get sucked into ANOTHER e - collar thread - after all this one is "How do you teach a dog about alligators without the use of an e-collar"
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I haven't seen many grass snakes kill dogs tbh - in fact I've only ever seen one grass snake in my lifetime, and in actual fact you are less than 10ft away from a grass snake at all times when out. More likely an attack if they were worse than gators.

And we don't know what we're talking about.

The only thing an e - collar can control, is significanlty the need for abuse on the part of the human. That's the only reason animals are abused - they are helpless. And so if it misbehaves rather than going through PROPER training, stick an e - collar on it and shock it, human gets the pleasure of abusing his dog in a seemingly lawful way! Not training at all - just bottling up the bad behaviour until the dog snaps! And we're idiots.

But lets not all get sucked into ANOTHER e - collar thread - after all this one is "How do you teach a dog about alligators without the use of an e-collar"

You don't, thats why as the OP points out they get eaten!

Adam
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 01:05 PM
[/B]

You don't, thats why as the OP points out they get eaten!

Adam
No irresponsible, idiotic and totally stupid owner's dogs get eaten...I've never seen a dog onlead get eaten. And alligators are quite quick and agile so even if you did use an e-collar to create avoidance - the dog is still in danger as the gator could easily catch up. Alligators can run up to 8-11 mph on land, but saying that - I contradict myself as gators are AMBUSH predators..and only ever ambush from the water. So unless you are stupid enough to allow your dog near the water then, you pretty much are safe. When crocs and gators are on dry land it is often to sun themselves as they are cold blooded!

God do some bloody research before you start trying to spout out useless information. I know all this stuff and I don't even live in the Everglades - I know for sure they have Todd whatshisface for removing problem alligators.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Slb, just see my earlier posts re dogs senses and DW post re dogs on lead getting eaten. He/she does live there after all.

Adam
Page 6 of 16 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »