View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 06:55 PM
I thought this thread was about training without using ecollars?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I thought this thread was about training without using ecollars?
I think this thread is quite surreal especially as we don't have the problem in the UK and the original poster said she was leaving the forum
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Perhaps it could be closed then?
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
If you simply observe the dogs behaviour and are aware of the wind direction there should be no problem, this is often done with snake avoidance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-GOI5GM4KQ

Note the dogs reaction, it does a 180 and goes the other way.

Adam
SOOOOO bored of you and your stupid video links none of us bother watching them, so you might as well not put the link up
re snake avoidance..........walking my dogs in the woods, and Skye became very interested in a scent around a tree stump; there was a grass snake curled up there; she decided on her own not to approach it. No e collar or any avoidance technique required, just my dogs own common sense

Jann xx
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Agree with most of the posters in this thread.
  • Teach a good reliable recall
  • Keep your dogs safe - don't put them in danger in the first place. Fence off your garden if you have to, stick to safe walking paths.

I wouldn't let my dog off-lead on a busy road. My dog has good recall and won't chase after sheep or cattle (and for people not from the UK - farmers can legally shoot your dog if they believe it is distressing their flock). My gardens are fenced off (we have a very fast river at the bottom of it!).

Bottom line is you have to make sensible choices. Training with pain is not one of them (especially as there's no guarantees it would be effective, and worse, likely to cause psychological damage in the process).

PS - please stay on topic - this isn't a debate about shock collars, just for opinions on how to train a dog without them, in the circumstances posted in the first post
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16