Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2007, 08:14 PM

Reasons NOT to spay?

Our GSD x Staffy is 12 weeks old and the idea of not spaying her has never really crossed my mind. In my opinion, it eliminates her risk of of uterine or ovarian cancers, or of Pyometria. There are so many rescue cases out there already in need of a home, that I feel risking an unplanned litter is irresponsible of me as a pet owner.

In my opinion, Amber herself is a perfect example of why dogs should be spayed and castrated if their owners don't intend to breed from them - her mother became pregnant accidentally after she escaped from her owner's garden. Amber went to a neighbour when she was eight weeks old, and within a fortnight, they decided they didn't want her. We went on a Tuesday evening to collect Amber, and we were told that if she hadn't been rehomed by the end of the week, her owners were going to phone a local rescue and say that a "stray had wandered in" to ensure they would take her .

But I just wondered for what reasons people choose not to spay? I mean, of course, in the case of pet homes and not of breeders. It struck me as a little odd that I have been so conditioned into "spay and neuter your pet" that the idea of not doing it hadn't even occurred to me before joining Dogsey.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Some people just choose not to.
With the case of bitches I will never understand this because of the risk of pyometra.

My uncle had a Retriever which remained entire right throughout her life,She died at the age of 12 1/2 from Stomach Cancer.
They had planned to breed a litter from her but the time wasn't right,my mom was fighting breast cancer for two years before she eventually died by this time there dog was about 4/5 years old which they thought was too old for a first litter.

As soon has I have what I what to continue our lines, from my bitch she will be spayed.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 08:43 PM
The only time I keep my bitches entire is if I want to breed from them, then I would definately spay by the age of 8. They aren't so disadvantaged in the ring because it doesn't show.
Becky
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Reasons not to spay?

Urinary incontinance.
Possible/probable weight gain.
Coat changes, for the worst.

However, I am very pro spay for non breeding bitches, apart from anything else I hate the mess!! The bitch that gets a phantom is out of condition, no use for working (as when in season) often moody etc.. some it doesnt affect in the slightest.
Dawn.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:04 PM
reasons not to spay.
1.almost bleeding to death due to stupid owners,
we were called by our vet at 10 oclock one night can we take in a blood donor,as they had a lab in on the operating table bleeding to death,so off we went at top speed hoping we didnt get pulled up,when we got there molly our bitch was great,straight in and sat for her blood while the vets worked on the lab.
it appeared shed been spayed the day before and the owners was told to rest her as she hadnt taken the GA very well,well they let her suit herself and shed jumped on to the sofa,and in and out of the car and has started to bleed heavily and theyd raced her in,well when they found where she bleeding from and after recieving the blood she went on to make a good recovery and was well healed,but the vet said hed never seen a dog loose as much blood and go on to survive,no thanks to daft owners who risked the life of there bitch,
2.also years ago,we had one of our old englishes spayed,and the same thing happened and she wasnt ran ragged by us,she just lay in her box and when she got up to go the loo her stitches bust and simply nearly bled to death!!!!!!!
2 examples of not to spay,but heres a reason to spay,
1.a lady who has 2 of our boxers we bred,lost a bitch to a mammary tumor the year she bout honey from us,and she was told to spay her and she did shes a strong healthy dog,not only giving peace of mind that there guarding against tumors not eriadicating totally but helping,and uterus infections and unwanted puppies xxzbxx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:08 PM
I know of a man who used to breed boxers and show them also , for many years , who had a lovely brindle bitch aged about 7 i think , who never bred from her or spayed her and she died of stomach cancer , (he ignored the advice of the vet to have her spayed to try and save her ) , he know owns another bitch which is not for breeding she is just a pet , and he has had her spayed for fear of her dying of cancer xxdk
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
reasons not to spay.
1.almost bleeding to death due to stupid owners,
we were called by our vet at 10 oclock one night can we take in a blood donor,as they had a lab in on the operating table bleeding to death,so off we went at top speed hoping we didnt get pulled up,when we got there molly our bitch was great,straight in and sat for her blood while the vets worked on the lab.
it appeared shed been spayed the day before and the owners was told to rest her as she hadnt taken the GA very well,well they let her suit herself and shed jumped on to the sofa,and in and out of the car and has started to bleed heavily and theyd raced her in,well when they found where she bleeding from and after recieving the blood she went on to make a good recovery and was well healed,but the vet said hed never seen a dog loose as much blood and go on to survive,no thanks to daft owners who risked the life of there bitch,
2.also years ago,we had one of our old englishes spayed,and the same thing happened and she wasnt ran ragged by us,she just lay in her box and when she got up to go the loo her stitches bust and simply nearly bled to death!!!!!!!
2 examples of not to spay,but heres a reason to spay,
1.a lady who has 2 of our boxers we bred,lost a bitch to a mammary tumor the year she bout honey from us,and she was told to spay her and she did shes a strong healthy dog,not only giving peace of mind that there guarding against tumors not eriadicating totally but helping,and uterus infections and unwanted puppies xxzbxx
very informative post ZB xxdk
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
As someone said the mess!! and then the phantom pregnancies it pulls at your heart i cant see anyone going thru a phantom and not deciding thereon in to spay if they arent going to breed...

Why put her through it if you dont need to do.. of course you may not encounter problems but i would guess you would be one of the lucky ones if you so did..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-11-2007, 11:28 PM
I have just been reading in the local newspaper about a collie/lab cross bitch who has had a litter of 13 puppies (some of them below) and the owner is now looking for homes for them

I wonder if someone told the bitches owner some good reasons not to spay..

Personally I think the reasons to spay outnumber the reasons not too. Millie will be spayed in the spring three months after the start of her first season(as was Amy who recently died aged 16). I was discussing spaying with my vet the other day and she is convinced that spaying too early is the cause of urinary incontinence in bitches and that they should have a season before spaying even though it may slightly increase the risk of mammary tumours.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
The only time I keep my bitches entire is if I want to breed from them, then I would definately spay by the age of 8. They aren't so disadvantaged in the ring because it doesn't show.
Becky
In a welshie it a nightmare as they blow there coat and its obvious their spayed. I've not had a problem as my youngest bitch is 3 and has had one litter. I've decided to have one more and too see how she goes them I might
spay her as she has bad phantoms. She doesnt shpw any way so not a problem but she is my top dog and worries that spaying her may take the edge off......already world was three here with the three dogs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >