Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2015, 07:26 PM

UTI or Incontinence or Both??

I've been having trouble with Karitsa for the last 3 weeks or so. First it started off as her having an ear infection so the vet gave some ear drops. It didn't help to get rid of the infection so we did an ear swab and he gave a different ear drop and a systemic antibiotic.

After several days on the new drugs, I started to notice moist spots on the floor. No puddles, just wet like when a dog is outside in the rain and then lays down on the floor, so just thought it was the melting snow in her fur from being outside.

Then I started to notice drops of fluid on the floor and I just thought it was her spraying water after having a drink of water.

As the days went by, I noticed that the water drops were not in fact water but urine that would spray when she would shake. Then it progressed to finding Karitsa laying in a puddle of her own urine. She was still on the meds for her ear infection and the vet said it could be an odd side effect of the drugs.

As time went by with not getting better, I took her to the vet with a pee sample and she has a UTI. They gave her 14 days worth of antibiotics. The incontinence was getting better for the last 10 days, then it all hit again within 10 minutes! First a damp spot, then a puddle, then she shook and sprayed it everywhere!!

Now i'm beginning to think it might be something other than her UTI or a combination, because it is not her having accidents, it is leakage. What if she has developed spay incontinence? But then, we are not even sure if she is in fact spayed 100%. The vet couldn't see a scar but if she was done very young, the scar could have very well faded a lot by now.

Not really sure what to do now. She must feel so uncomfortable and it is so unhygienic to have urine spayed everywhere for the rest of us. Still waiting to see what the rescue has to say, and my vet is closed until Monday.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2015, 07:52 PM
I may be wrong but can't antibiotics upset a girls water works? It's quite a coincidence if it is spay incontinence and sounds like a sudden onset. How old is she? If she wasn't spayed wouldn't you know by now? I'd def be back to the vet as something is going on. Raspberry leaf is supposed to be good for a girls water works I believe xx
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2015, 10:03 PM
It could be as simple as she needs a different antibiotic that is more suited to the particular UTI.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2015, 11:52 PM
Last year Tweed had a bout of bronchitis, and our vet gave antibiotics and 2 mg. prednisolone tablets. After only 2 or 3 days, she started leaving a trail of drips behind her, and damping her bedding when she slept. The vet said that it was very unusual for this to happen with such a low dose, but Tweed is 13 so her age may have contributed to it. Taken off the pred. she was OK within 24 hours. I hope you manage to find the cause, but I wouldn't discount the drugs.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
I may be wrong but can't antibiotics upset a girls water works? It's quite a coincidence if it is spay incontinence and sounds like a sudden onset. How old is she? If she wasn't spayed wouldn't you know by now? I'd def be back to the vet as something is going on. Raspberry leaf is supposed to be good for a girls water works I believe xx
I'm going to look up the drug and see what side effects it has. She is a rescue from an unknown source, so not entirely sure if she is spayed. I have had her for about 2 months and she is about 2.5 years old. Hard to say if she is spayed or not...
Hmm, raspberry leaf? Never heard of it. How does it come, in a pill or extract?

Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It could be as simple as she needs a different antibiotic that is more suited to the particular UTI.
Could very well be. I will ask the vet on Monday.

Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
Last year Tweed had a bout of bronchitis, and our vet gave antibiotics and 2 mg. prednisolone tablets. After only 2 or 3 days, she started leaving a trail of drips behind her, and damping her bedding when she slept. The vet said that it was very unusual for this to happen with such a low dose, but Tweed is 13 so her age may have contributed to it. Taken off the pred. she was OK within 24 hours. I hope you manage to find the cause, but I wouldn't discount the drugs.
Karitsa wasn't given prednisone. I'm so confused about all of this. I went out for a little bit this evening. When I got back home her crate and blankets were completely dry. I just don't understand...sigh
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Am thinking its a temporary drug / infection related issue xx
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-02-2015, 09:36 AM
It comes as a tea and a uk dog food company actually sells it as a powder/ extract. You should be able to get it from any health food store I would think

Raspberry leaf to tighten muscles. And cranberry juice helps to stop bacteria sticking to the bladder
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2015, 03:00 AM
I am so sorry I haven't come back in so long. We're still battling her incontinence and it has gotten to the point where her bladder is emptying on the floor like a tap, no dribbling but gushing. I took her to the vet today as I was tired of being told to "wait and see if it's this or that". They did an x-ray and nothing showed up in terms of a blockage, stones, or anything else like that. It did show that her bladder was VERY full even though she was let out for a while before the appointment and the fact that she goes outside every couple of hours too throughout the day (i'm home all day now). After seeing the distended bladder, they are running a complete panel including blood sugar, thyroid, urine,and some other add-ons. They called me with some of the results but still waiting for the rest. Hopefully they call me soon.

The results showed that her creatinine, eosinophil's, and basophil's are a bit elevated. And her lipase is elevated as well. I don't know what the GFR is and wondering if I should call and ask if that is tested as well seeing as it goes with creatinine.

I attached the results here in case anyone can help me interpret it a little bit. Can diet cause some of these elevations? The food Karitsa is on is TLC dry, the fat is 16% (min).

Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-02-2015, 09:52 AM
estimated glomerular filtration rate
The estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) is a test that is used to assess how well your kidneys are working. The test estimates the volume of blood that is filtered by your kidneys over a given period of time. The test is called the estimated glomerular filtration rate because the glomeruli are the tiny filters in the kidneys. If these filters do not do their job properly then the kidney is said to have reduced or impaired kidney function.

sounds like her wee kidneys are having a bit of an issue?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Can't high crea mean possible liver issues, as well? It does make sense that the bulk of the problem would be kidney, since she's having urinary issues. Standard dry food is normally not recommended for dogs with kidney or urinary issues. There are prescription foods that are useful, though. I will say that. Of course, vet knows better than I do.

In any case, I recall you saying that someone put in an adoption form for her. Good that this was discovered before she was rehomed. I did some googling and I see that kidney disease seems to plague this breed to some degree. Hope you can get to the bottom of this.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >