Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scouse mouse
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Incontinence

Hi guys wondering if anybody could offer some help or advice for a friend of mine?

She has a 13 year old staffy bitch who is suffering from incontinence. My friend is obviously looking to resolve this problem.

The dog has constant access to the garden - even when my friend is at work, through the use of a specially built dog flap in the back door. She is only suffering with the incontinence when she falls asleep. It is as if when she is asleep her body forgets to control her bladder.

As I said my friend wants to resolve this issue, but would prefer if possible to try either a natural or a herbal treatment before using conventional medication.

Does anybody on here have any ideas?

Thanks guys
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2011, 03:43 PM
Pumpkin seed powder is supposed to help to strengthen the bladder muscles and alleviate or clear up incontinence. I can look up more specific details if you like, but it's probably best if she contacts a vet for info about dosage etc. I think there are some ready-made preparations available.
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-05-2011, 05:06 PM
The recommended daily dose for a 20 kg dog is 3 heaped teaspoons of ground pumpkin seeds.

Homeopathy is another option. (I'm a homeo-sceptic , but I guess it's worth looking into - after all, very easy to see if it works or not!)

I hope your friend finds a suitable treatment.

(Just an afterthought - I'm assuming your friend has already taken her to a vet to rule out potential physical problems such as cystitis, kidney problems, or bladder stones.)
debandsi
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi

I use Corn Silk capsules for my Weimaraner and it works a treat. He has been on it for 2 years now. I purchased them from Amazon.

You can read about them on earthclinics.com

I can really recommend them. My Weimaraner takes 2 a day, no side effects. Take about 2 weeks to take effect, so don't give up.

Debbie
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I think that I would pay a visit to the vet first, just to rule out any "nasties" that can only be treated by conventional medicine.

After doing that, and assuming that nothing is wrong except for advancing old age, then that is the time to consider alternative remedies.

Just my opinion tho
debandsi
New Member!
Female 

04-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Absolutely agree with Bitkin, we did this with our Weimaraner first.

Once we got the all clear from the vets, who them wanted to put him on some medication that had the side effects of "aggression", we decided to go down the natural remedy route, hence the corn silk capsules.

Debbie
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by debandsi View Post
Absolutely agree with Bitkin, we did this with our Weimaraner first.

Once we got the all clear from the vets, who them wanted to put him on some medication that had the side effects of "aggression", we decided to go down the natural remedy route, hence the corn silk capsules.

Debbie
It just shows that conventional routes and natural remedies can, and should, go hand in hand.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
maybe im being at bit out of turn here, but i would thought the first and most obvious response to the post would be the dog has a medical condition, see a vet

and the second most obvious answer is the dog is old, when you are old, your loose control of your faculties.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
She is only suffering with the incontinence when she falls asleep. It is as if when she is asleep her body forgets to control her bladder.
Hi Scouse Mouse a trip to the vet is called for here.
The problem could be due to spay incontinence/a urinary tract infection/ a degree of CCD (senility in dogs) all treatable with medication.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
She is only suffering with the incontinence when she falls asleep. It is as if when she is asleep her body forgets to control her bladder.

Thanks guys
Definitely needs to see a vet = ASAP. Agree with Mini - could be any of the things she suggests or something else

Katie has renal disease and this is one of her symptoms. However Katie is on medication which now controls the problem so really best thing to do is find out what is wrong first and take it from there
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >