Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Health testing/ health checks.

If a dog has been checked for the standard hereditary health problems (in this case KCCS), is it still possible that it (the dog) might be a carrier of a given condition?

If so, what might that condition be? I'm guessing the dog would require some sort of screening/dna check - am I correct?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Yes - there are tests that will tell you if the animal is clear/affected - but to tell if the dogs a carrier, you would need a DNA test - although for some breeds and conditions DNA tests are not available.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-02-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks.

I had a discussion with someone wanting to breed their KCCS. I asked if they'd had her health tested, the reply was that she'd been checked for all the standard health issues.

If there are specific tests to establish whether or not the dog is clear of any known condition then I could point that out.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Em, if you google the KCC Breed Clubs, all the health info is on there...........
dogmad76
New Member!
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:19 AM
I have done lots of research on the cavalier king charles spaniel (CKCS) and they need to be heart and eye tested for Kennel club. They can and really should be tested for SM but even if the are clear they can still be carriers and there is no test for this. New tests out this year is for dry eye and curly coat also Episodic falling. these are DNA tests. the SM test is an MRI scan..