Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:52 PM

Incontinence?!

As most of you know along with the idiots i have a recue lab. He is coming up to 7 this summer. This evening we have noticed 3 patches of clear liquid round his tummy when he has got up. It doesnt smell and the patched have been about 4 or 5 inches wide. He is eating fine, weeing fine, toilets fine, bouncing around as normal fine. He is happy to be touched, doesnt appear to be any swelling anywhere but it is definitely wee.

Does anyone have any experience with a dog suddenly becoming incontinent or could he just have an infection? He was neutered at just over a year old (before i got him). Any help, suggestions or advice very gratefully received please!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Neutered males can, like neutered females become incontinent. I used to board a Spinone, that did it years after he was neutered, he was on the same meds (Propalin) that the females have, it worked for him.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Any male or female nuetered or un-nuetered can become incontinenet at any time.
I would suggest you take a urine sample into the vets for them to check that there is no underlying infection causing it first. If that is clear then as Borderdawn said propalin works very well for incontinence.
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Sometimes this can be a sign of the begining of prostate problems or possibly cystitis,which is usually associated with bitches,but dogs can have it too. Is he drinking more than usual? If it carries on I would be inclined to take him to your vet. Prostate is more likely in an un-neutered male so it could be something not as dramatic. Good luck.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for your replies guys xxxxxx he is drinking and eating as normal and is totally normal in himself. Since he had a big wee about an hour or so ago no more little puddles. Not sure what that means but i think that possible means it could be incontinence? I feel much better knowing that the males can get meds for it that work great too! (presuming it may be that). We will be keeping a very close eye on him over the next 24 hours and if he shows any discomfort we'll be straight to the emergency vets. Thank you again, will post an update tomorrow xxxxxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 06:59 AM
I'd get him checked at the vet to be on the safe side, Kristina. Good luck hon, keep us posted.

x
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Quick update..... no more puddles found overnight or so far this morning. Been out for a wee all normal. Poor Murpy is being stalked all round the place and everywhere he lays down gets inspected lol he is starting to look a bit bemused by it all lol. xx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Awwww bless the sweetie, hope he is ok xxxxx
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Definitely worth getting him checked out - our dobermann bitch developed a few urinary problems a year past in December - just before she was two. We thought it was just an infection and used natural remedies for her, which seemed to work. Couple of months later it suddenly got worse - seemed to be in the evening, small patches would appear to full blown bladder emptying and she wasn't even aware. Needless to say she started to get upset at what was happening. Vet gave us Propalin and we've never looked back.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Get him checked out, as this is how tobys bladder problems were discovered.

At 1st the vets will want to rule out bladder stones etc, then go from there.

Toby has a rare condition where the bladder muscles are not in sync with 1 another, so his bladder can fill up until the urine is forced out due to pressure.

He ate and drank normally and didn't even know he was leaking urine.

If the bladder gets too extended it can be dangerous, so he may need for the urine to be expressed by the vet until they find out what is causing it.

When he goes for a wee, what is the flow like?
Is it a steady stream or starts and stops mid flow?
Toby is resonable slow compaired to most, with intermitant flow.

This could be another indictator and the vets will ask you, so it might be wise to know before you take him.

On a more positive note, if it is the condition toby has which is more prominent in older dogs generally, there are drugs to help, to ensure he doesn't fill up.

Above all please get him checked out, if only for peace of mind that is isn't anything more serious than an infection.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >