Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I wouldn't have thought the bone would give him as much grief as the amount of fat he's scoffed. With that lot it's probably just a bit of over indulgence making him feel a bit iffy. As for dry readybrek well he's clearly not fussed what disappears down his throat is he? I'd resort to crating him with a bone, so it feels like less of a punishment each time you have to leave him alone. Luckily for me my two feeding frenzy machines Milan and Diesel have never attempted raiding the fridge. Milan can't leave the sink alone, even when empty, she lives in hope, and Diesel is obsessed with the parrots, nuts, seed and veggies.
Haven't caught up with the rest yet but Trouble - I read this and can't stop laughing! You have a way with words - I nearly spat my chicken curry on my keyboard!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the history Catrin. Poor boy but so lucky to have found you I doubt many people would have stuck with him.

That early starvation formed eating habits. Had a cat just the same. Had it for 16 yrs and it was no spring chicken when I took it in. If given the opportunity he would eat his, the other cat's and the dog's food too. And almost always promptly upchuck it onto the back door mat (looking much the same as it did before he ate it - I don't think he chewed much). I had to feed him separately or watch like a hawk. Even tho my other cat would attack him for stealing her food - he'd still do it. (My dog a Cavvy wimp - just let him have it). Couldn't give him dry kibble either because of the way he wolfed it and didn't bother drinking. Vet said it was because he viewed every meal as maybe being the last one he'd get for days. And he never ever 'grew out of it'. Lovely cat, timid and friendly but had a few mental problems! (Oh and for all that he was skinny and bony no fat on him at all). My other cat was much fatter and didn't eat as much. Odd thing was he had no prey drive whatsoever. The other cat tried to catch and kill everything that moved. He'd just watch her. You'd think if they'd starved at some stage they'd naturally at least TRY to catch their own food?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Thankfully he has only once chewed a door frame and that was on Monday when he and Tonks were separated and left for two hours. In general now he just sleeps when left. He has now learnt to be left for an hour pre walk for the school drop off and pick up and can be left for a couple of hours post walk. He once managed three and a half hours after a really good run with loads of dogs...but he does often wee when we're gone.

I've spoke to my friend who is a qualified behaviourist and he says that there is very little chance of him changing his views on food due to him being starved before he was even 12 weeks old. The need to steal and consume anything he can get his paws on, incase he doesn't get any food anytime soon, is now too strong. He is disk trained and I'm going to do some more disk training for him stealing food when I am present but nothing is going to cure the urge to steal it when he's alone....that just down to management. Thankfully the fridge locks have arrived today so I'll be attaching them this afternoon hopefully.

Sometimes he goes on a lead attached to me if there's a lot of food around but usually he goes in his crate with a kong or a chew. .....or like yesterday....a flea in his ear.....useless and wrong I know but you'd can't keep your patients all the time! He goes in after the event because I can't watch him while I tidy up and goodness knows what else he'd be doing, probably weeing, pooing or being sick, while I'm distracted.

Despite the food stealing and crate trashing he really is an easy dog believe it or not. If there's any chance of a cuddle in the sofa, doesn't matter if it's me or the girls, he's very happy doing that...as long as he's had an hours walk which includes a really good sprint.

Oh he's not fussy at all! Unfortunately he can't be crated when we're not here. He will tolerated it for an hour, post walk, then start to get very distressed and bust himself out. He he's cable tied in he will rip everything up and wee loads in there. Interestingly the only other litter mate that was abandoned with him cannot be left at all and they have to use baby sitters when they go out....he's also a terrible thief. Remus is also sink obsessed and will empty the sink and smash all the contents if he think there's any chance of their being some food left on them.

I naively thought that, as he was rescued at 12 weeks that he would be fine...stupid really as I know the crucial socialization period begins to end at 16 weeks. Thankfully he is child, dog, and adult friendly and has minimal prey drive.....probably why he was abandoned.
I doubt there is any chance of him growing out of his food obsession either, Milan has the same issue although now to a lesser degree. Her life was normal until 14 weeks when she was rehomed to a family in Kent and no one really knows what happened between then and found wandering the streets in North London at 7 months, in a right state, skinny & smelly with terrible eye infection and with a big mass on her back where she'd been shot with an air gun pellet. Got carted off to Battersea where she was scanned and they contacted her original owners who took her back and sorted out her health issues before tentatively looking to rehome her again. She came here at 8 months and is now 6 but shows no signs of giving up sink surfing although she's come on in leaps and bounds with her resource guarding and no longer feels she has to protect her food as she now accepts I'll never let her go hungry. I just wish I could stop her getting so hyped up at meal times but it's never going to happen. She prances around, spinning in circles until I just stand still with her bowl in my hand and suddenly her butt hits the floor because she knows she won't get it otherwise. Diesel has no excuse he's just a pig
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Maybe Diesel's reasoning is 'what's good enough for her is good enough for me'
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

30-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Maybe Diesel's reasoning is 'what's good enough for her is good enough for me'

Lol He's one of those dogs who can eat for England and not put on weight, when it comes to bones he has twice as many as the others because his turbo jaws make short work of them and he's back for more in the blink of a eye but he also loves fruit and veg and will beg for carrots, cabbage, broccoli and his all time favourite apples. I go to the fruit bowl and it's one for me and one for him
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Lol He's one of those dogs who can eat for England and not put on weight, when it comes to bones he has twice as many as the others because his turbo jaws make short work of them and he's back for more in the blink of a eye but he also loves fruit and veg and will beg for carrots, cabbage, broccoli and his all time favourite apples. I go to the fruit bowl and it's one for me and one for him
Yeah but dont'cha just love a dog like that? My last GSD was exactly the same - ate anything she could fit in her gob and it didn't touch the sides going down. And I've no idea just HOW MUCH (weight wise) she ate really but her weight never fluctuated. Whatever she ate!

When my youngest was born she was about 9yrs old. She quickly learned that sitting directly under the splayed legs of the baby highchair was an excellent place to get goodies raining down from the air! Not one of them ever got as far as the carpet!

Dogs like that do 'hoover up' after themselves too. Not like this pincy poncy little min pin who leaves crumbs EVERYWHERE!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

30-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Yeah but dont'cha just love a dog like that? My last GSD was exactly the same - ate anything she could fit in her gob and it didn't touch the sides going down. And I've no idea just HOW MUCH (weight wise) she ate really but her weight never fluctuated. Whatever she ate!

When my youngest was born she was about 9yrs old. She quickly learned that sitting directly under the splayed legs of the baby highchair was an excellent place to get goodies raining down from the air! Not one of them ever got as far as the carpet!

Dogs like that do 'hoover up' after themselves too. Not like this pincy poncy little min pin who leaves crumbs EVERYWHERE!

Very true, Diesel licks everything clean just in case he missed a bit
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Well overall - give me a dog like that any day over a dog who is really picky about food and hard to feed. Just a four legged giant rubbish gobbling machine!
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Wow Catrin Remus can certainly hoover up quickly A fridge raider
I hope he doesn't have any untoward side effects although a bit of an upset tummy is to be expected
Apart from any thing else the cost of the food he's eaten this week alone must be huge. I assume you and the family will be eating the dog food for next week or so.

I hope your fridge lock arrives soon and you stop his fridge raiding in its tracks
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2013, 07:17 PM

It looks like a very good one. You have to squeeze those two grey bits together and pull out the strap to open it. It will probably only be used when he is left, as it's not something he would have the chance to do with me in the house.

It's such a shame that these dogs early lives can scar them for life.

He seems fine now and ate his tea, and was fine sprinting round on our walk at lunch time, oh he also pooed on the walk....all very runny still....so I presume he's back to normal.

So we I haven't replaced the last lot of food he ate because I didn't want to risk it until the lock turned up.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >