View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Lozzi, SB doesnt follow a model, hence the difference of opinion.

I presume you are talking about prey model ratios? SB is correct, as heart is an organ it's technically offal. However you count it as part of the muscle meat ration, not the 10% offal for prey model. Same as tripe, technically offal, but considered muscle meat for prey model ratios. Hth

I also feed kidney for variety, unsure exactly what is in it nutritionally though.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Lozzi, SB doesnt follow a model, hence the difference of opinion.

I presume you are talking about prey model ratios? SB is correct, as heart is an organ it's technically offal. However you count it as part of the muscle meat ration, not the 10% offal for prey model. Same as tripe, technically offal, but considered muscle meat for prey model ratios. Hth

I also feed kidney for variety, unsure exactly what is in it nutritionally though.
I know SB doesn’t follow a model, but a lot of people do (the things I read suggest the majority at least follow them as a guideline). I don’t follow the ratios strictly, but I do like to use them to know that I am feeding along the right lines.

I wasn’t talking about any specific ratios, I just said that, in relation to feeding dogs, heart is classed as muscle. I know that technically, it is offal, but not when feeding dogs.

I think that, for some people, it would be confusing to read that heart is offal, again, only when in relation to feeding dogs. I was only making the point, since everything I have read has always stated the heart is a muscle meat, and since people learning about raw read these threads, I thought it should be said... also, Malka asked so I was simply answering the question.

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I've always been told that, when feeding dogs, heart is classed as muscle meat... if it is offal, that Jake has been getting way too much!

I still class it as muscle meat though.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:00 PM
In ANY diet it is the nutritional content of the food that is crucial, not the classification......
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Out if interest how much heart do you think should be fed on average, as part of a raw diet? (in a rough percentage)

Edit; I am now thinking I should avoid all red meat with my boy and not sure how else I can get a source of heart other than pigs heart.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Out if interest how much heart do you think should be fed on average, as part of a raw diet? (in a rough percentage)

Edit; I am now thinking I should avoid all red meat with my boy and not sure how else I can get a source of heart other than pigs heart.
Oh God I don't do percentages (too much like hard work).

But let me see, I will take one dog as an example.

He consumes circa 2kgs of food per day (or more) multiply that by 7 = 14 kgs (or more) per week.

During that time he will get ONE meal or lamb hearts which come to about 500 -700gm depending.

Lambs hearts are freely available at most Tescos or Morrisons.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:24 PM
thanks, I should probably be doing the same then, give or take, I have never fed that much heart tbh!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:26 PM
You do not have to, that is what I feed, does not mean everyone else should do the same.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I know but I did used to count it as muscle and I am now wondering.....if variety in the type of animal is enough or whether I should also be thinking of variety in terms of where on the animal.....

I did used to do this with lamb as it was easy to get the heart, kidneys, neck, spine, liver, legs, tripe, ribs etc but not now......he would have eaten a lamb before moving onto something else...say pig, turkey or whatever

Edit; I'm not sure I would feed that much heart at once tbh, unless with some pork ribs..
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I know SB doesn’t follow a model, but a lot of people do (the things I read suggest the majority at least follow them as a guideline). I don’t follow the ratios strictly, but I do like to use them to know that I am feeding along the right lines.

I wasn’t talking about any specific ratios, I just said that, in relation to feeding dogs, heart is classed as muscle. I know that technically, it is offal, but not when feeding dogs.

I think that, for some people, it would be confusing to read that heart is offal, again, only when in relation to feeding dogs. I was only making the point, since everything I have read has always stated the heart is a muscle meat, and since people learning about raw read these threads, I thought it should be said... also, Malka asked so I was simply answering the question.
Ok, I thought you were confused so I was just trying to be helpful and clarify it for you Never mind then
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I know but I did used to count it as muscle and I am now wondering.....if variety in the type of animal is enough or whether I should also be thinking of variety in terms of where on the animal.....

I did used to do this with lamb as it was easy to get the heart, kidneys, neck, spine, liver, legs, tripe, ribs etc but not now......he would have eaten a lamb before moving onto something else...say pig, turkey or whatever

Edit; I'm not sure I would feed that much heart at once tbh, unless with some pork ribs..
No it may not suit your dogs.

There several ways to kill a cat (so to speak).

For example you feed your only once a day, I could never do that with breeds which are predisposed to bloat so I choose to feed twice.

There are as many styles of feeding as there are dog food brands.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >