View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2010, 04:44 PM

How long should he be able to hold his pee?

Vito is now 24 weeks old and 99% house trained. The only thing is he still needs taken out every 1 1/2- 2 hours, is this normal?

He will cry or start going crazy when he wants out, but I thought at almost 6 months the frequency of his toilet breaks would reduce.

He has been dry overnight for a good 10 weeks and if we are out and leave him for 3 or 4 hours he never goes in the house.

I have tried to ignore him and see if he'll wait a bit longer but I just end up with a puddle.

Any advice or ideas welcome. it may just be that this is normal- he's my first pup so not sure.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
Vito is now 24 weeks old and 99% house trained. The only thing is he still needs taken out every 1 1/2- 2 hours, is this normal?

He will cry or start going crazy when he wants out, but I thought at almost 6 months the frequency of his toilet breaks would reduce.

He has been dry overnight for a good 10 weeks and if we are out and leave him for 3 or 4 hours he never goes in the house.

I have tried to ignore him and see if he'll wait a bit longer but I just end up with a puddle.

Any advice or ideas welcome. it may just be that this is normal- he's my first pup so not sure.
Sounds more behavioural than him "needing" to go really. There obviously is nothing wrong with him other wise he couldnt hold it all night. You could try to occupy him in other respects, keep him busy. Put a bit of cheese in a toy or something to take his mind off it.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2010, 04:53 PM
That's what i was thinking- he knows if he cries i'll take him out, but he always does go, so i wasn't sure if he really was crying because he's bursting.

I'll try seeing if i can take his mind off it.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Dizzy has only got to grips with the daytime toileting thing in the last month and she is 7 and a half months now. Could you perhaps try extending the time in between letting him out by say 15mins everytime so he gradually lengthens the time?
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Dizzy has only got to grips with the daytime toileting thing in the last month and she is 7 and a half months now. Could you perhaps try extending the time in between letting him out by say 15mins everytime so he gradually lengthens the time?
He lets me know when he wants out by either crying or jumping about daft, i have tried to ingore him but he just pees inside them which I want to avoid.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Just be grateful he asks!

Etta as just stopped going so frequently and she is now nearly 8 mths. I'd go with the flow (so to speak) and let him out when he asks, Maybe try and extend the time a little each time.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 05:43 PM
or you could get a dog flap? Then he can let himself out.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
or you could get a dog flap? Then he can let himself out.
Unfortunately I don't have a garden so that's out.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Every dog is different, but I'd say that is normal. That is probably how often my Bo (Slovak, 7 1/2 months) goes out if she is up and moving around. She'll obviously go longer if she is just lounging around. She is an active dog who eats, drinks and runs around a lot, so by default she is going to pee more than my lazy Lab (who completely of his own accord regularly only toilets every 8-9 hours or so!) who doesn't drink or move much.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Every dog is different, but I'd say that is normal. That is probably how often my Bo (Slovak, 7 1/2 months) goes out if she is up and moving around. She'll obviously go longer if she is just lounging around. She is an active dog who eats, drinks and runs around a lot, so by default she is going to pee more than my lazy Lab (who completely of his own accord regularly only toilets every 8-9 hours or so!) who doesn't drink or move much.
That's good to know! thanks