Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
W.S Alapahas
New Member!
Male 

05-12-2007, 07:08 PM

Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldogs in the U.K

Hi guys. thought I'd post some pic's of our dogs...We own and occasionally breed the Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog. Our bulldogs are registered with the ABBA. The Alapaha has an amazing character. Very calm in the home and excellent with children and the elderly alike.

If you have any questions please post them.

John
W.S Alapahas
Ziggy soon to be at W.S.A

This is Jol-Lin's Marble owned by W.S.A

Jo-Lin's Sapphire Owned by W.S.A

SFK's Spook owner by W.S.A

Spit's Fire's Ruby owned by W.S.A

Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 07:14 PM
WOW !! What fab dogs ! Absolutely gorgeous ! Loving Jo-Lin's Sapphire, very striking ! You must be very proud !
W.S Alapahas
New Member!
Male 

05-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Doggydina, Thanks for your kind comments. Sapphire's very sweet!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 07:28 PM
All very stuinning dogs xdk
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Now that's a breed I have been interested in for a long time, please tell us more about them, breed standard, how they came to be, original use etc really want to know more about them from someone in the know!
Becky
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 07:40 PM
OMG what stunning dogs.

Love SFK's Spook what a handsome boy.
please tell us more about them
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Sorry forgot to say Welcome to Dogsey xx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Hello and welcome, lovley dogs, but forgive my ignorance , but I have never heard of them ??

Are they a type of X bulldog???
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Gorgeous dogs, and I love the pic of Jol-Lin's Marble, just look at that smile *melts*
W.S Alapahas
New Member!
Male 

05-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Now that's a breed I have been interested in for a long time, please tell us more about them, breed standard, how they came to be, original use etc really want to know more about them from someone in the know!
Becky
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
OMG what stunning dogs.
Love SFK's Spook what a handsome boy.
please tell us more about them
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
Gorgeous dogs, and I love the pic of Jo-Lin's Marble, just look at that smile

Hello Mahooli, moonstone, Animal. Thanks for your interest and kind comments they are very much appreciated.. here a bit more information about me and the breed in general.. Basically I fell in love with the breed 7 years ago.
As a student I traveling across the southern U.S states visiting plantations and rural farms for a study i was involved in. During my time spent on one particular plantation I was introduced to the Alapaha. they were used here to work the plantations primarily for gaurd/ watch duties.
I was taken back by how docile and family orientated they were. I immediately fell in love with them and continued my research back home.
5 years later after speaking to everyone in the game, I set about importing a breeding pair and now have 5 wonderful companions.
The Alapaha Bulldog was bought back from near extinction in the 70's by one family in particular, the Lane's. Papa buck Lane owned some of the last remaining true "old timey Alapaha Bulldogs". Papa Buck worked tirelessly to save the Alapaha and set up a breeding program to do just that. When Papa buck died in the mid 70's his daughter Lana Lou carried on his program of recovering the true old timey alapaha. Lana Lane became the co founder and secretary of the ABBA in 1979. (The ABBA has operated a closed stud file since 1979 meaning no dog can be registered as an Alapaha unless its ancestry dates back to the original stud file..) The ABBA was where Lana met Ray Coleman (CRK). Ray was on the same road as Lana, they were both trying to save the breed. Mr Coleman had traveled the southern enclaves of America in search for Alapahas to use for his foundation. Mr Coleman and Lana worked together breeding from each others stock. Just before Lana died she sold her best dogs on to Mr Coleman and gave the rest away to other kennels. Unfortunately the dogs that were given away went to puppy mills, they callously bred for money and cross bred dogs with pitbulls, am bulldogs and other curs. They were forced to register their dogs with registries such as the ARF, ARC. These registries have mongrelized the breed by allowing cross bred dogs to be registered as Alapahas.

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Welcome

What are Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldogs??

Are they a breed or just a certain line??

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Hello and welcome, lovley dogs, but forgive my ignorance , but I have never heard of them ??

Are they a type of X bulldog???
Hi Jackbox and louise, The Alapaha is a species of bulldog that has existed for over two hundred years in the Southern enclaves of the united states. it is believed to have its origin in a recently extinct species known as the Mountain Bulldog, Old Southern White and Old Country (Big) Bulldog. These dogs were taken to America in the early 18th century.
The Alapaha, unlike its English counterpart, was continuously bred for utility and stamina. Dogs such as the Catahoula leopard dog and ole pit dog were used extensively for this purpose, thus resulting in to the Alapaha we see today.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >