Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Problem is, with a new bathroom and boiler, we won't be far off spending £9000

ETA: whoops, you can't have a power shower with a Combi. But mains pressure should be good enough for a decent shower I think...?!
How Much?????

Put the jacuzzi on hold.

G'luck. Had to sort heating etc for the flat but being a flat Little Combi does it fine. Only change to my fifties bathroom is I put tiles (averagely) back on the wall they'd fallen off & soaked taps in vinegar to get them mobile. Oh and stick on vinyl floor tiles. And resealed the bath.

Nan's victorian Semi (single skin) got a new combi (was an poorly plumbed in oil fired) but the radiator in the living room's not man enough for the job. More a problem with radiator choice I think. Hot water's a dream.
Plumbers tried to route the pipes through the single storey flat roof to get upstairs . I wanted them to follow the old system up under the stairs - (as orig discussed with the boss) but wasn't around at that point so they ran them up the wall instead - after (the flat roof) asking my mother if it was OK.

Not really my business as it's her money but the right answer that question was "No Can you run them where the old system goes up under the stairs"

Sometimes it's good to keep an eye.

Boy did that go off topic...
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys. Sosha, I know, it's so much money but we've got some extra cash out with the mortgage to do up the house, and it's the only time I'll ever he able to afford it! The current bathroom is a grubby relic from the 1970s and really needs doing. We have a plumber installing the bathroom for £3800 (could not get any cheaper, damn London prices!) so the rest will depend how cheap I can get the fixtures and fittings myself. Max bathroom budget is £6000 all in. Then a new Combi boiler looks to be around £3000

The plumber is coming around tomorrow so I'm going to grill him about boilers and showers and work out what is best to do...
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Just a quick update, in case anyone cares about my boiler we have decided to go for a Combi boiler. Basically when we spoke to the plumber and he explained that installing it wasn't just a matter of pulling out the old tanks etc, he needed to install new pipes which involved ripping up the bathroom floor. As we are paying for underfloor heating and nice tiles in our new bathroom, there is no way in hell I want to end up having to rip them all up in a year if we change our mind and want a Combi so we've decided to suck it up and cough the cash up now, as it seems sensible in the long run. Its not quite aa bad as I thought, it'll be £2300 for a new condenser Worchester Bosh inc installation, so not the £3000 I feared. We're also paying out for a water softener as I don't want lime scale on my nice new bathroom either! The plumber said he would install it for free, which is nice. Gonna be a lean Christmas this year though
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Sounds like it is all coming together. But also sounds like you have your forever home and if not whatever you put into it you will get back.

Pictures when complete will be good.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2