register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
wufflehoond is offline  
Location: xxxxx, UK
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,958
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 04:20 PM

New Roof - OMG How Much????????

Well we knew we had problems with the roof and were going to need to do work on it this year so put contingency into place when we remortgaged last month.
Our builder (who has done all of the work on our house) has been to see us today and basically the roof isn't even water tight at the momentIt sounds like it is the original roof bearing in mind the house is 125 ish years old! That really doesn't bode well does it. Anyway, bottom line is it's going to be between 11000 and 15000. It's got nail rot which means not one slate is actually attached to anything up there! No wonder we're losing slates in the windNow I knew it was a big job but OMG not that big!
Can't even add it to the mortgage as that's already gone through. I've just filled out a loan application for an obscene amount of money and feel absolutely sick!
Reply With Quote
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
melsgems is offline  
Location: Spalding, Lincs
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,888
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 04:36 PM
just one word of warning try and get at least 2 more quote builders etc prices can vary widely !!

But Ouchy!!!!!! at the price
Reply With Quote
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
wufflehoond is offline  
Location: xxxxx, UK
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,958
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by melsgems View Post
just one word of warning try and get at least 2 more quote builders etc prices can vary widely !!

But Ouchy!!!!!! at the price
Yeah, I do know but this builder is a friend as well and we trust him implicitly. He's spent 3 years doing the rest of our house so we're absolutely sure it's all above board...unfortunately Thanks for the tip though
Reply With Quote
Teddysmum
Dogsey Senior
Teddysmum is offline  
Location: Devon, England
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 465
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Oh I know how you feel. We are having a complete new roof. The pic below shows the scaffolding that went up today and yesterday. The roof is being started on Monday. I'm dreading it. And the cost .................................................. .................................................. .................... £17.250.00

The place was built in 1850 but for the last twenty years before we bought it it was bedsits. The garden was a large hole with with fridges cookers, mattresses and drug needles in it. We've done most of inside, worked hard on the garden and now it's the damn roof.

Still we're getting there. We both love this house and have decided not to ever move from it so although we can't afford the rof it has to be done!!! But oh the upheaval.



Julie and Teddy
Reply With Quote
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Mahooli is offline  
Location: Poodle Heaven!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,297
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Could you economise of the type of tiles being used?
Becky
Reply With Quote
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
wufflehoond is offline  
Location: xxxxx, UK
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,958
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Teddysmum View Post
Oh I know how you feel. We are having a complete new roof. The pic below shows the scaffolding that went up today and yesterday. The roof is being started on Monday. I'm dreading it. And the cost .................................................. .................................................. .................... 17.250.00

The place was built in 1850 but for the last twenty years before we bought it it was bedsits. The garden was a large hole with with fridges cookers, mattresses and drug needles in it. We've done most of inside, worked hard on the garden and now it's the damn roof.

Still we're getting there. We both love this house and have decided not to ever move from it so although we can't afford the rof it has to be done!!! But oh the upheaval.




Julie and Teddy
I know just how you feel Julie. We've been working on ours for 3 years now and this is the last job to be done. It's the upheaval I hate too!

Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Could you economise of the type of tiles being used?
Becky
Yes and he's quoting for both but TBH the difference isn't that much and the more expensive ones are much more robust. We're so close to the sea and so windy here that the roof takes such a beating from the North Sea.
Reply With Quote
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Pita is offline  
Location: Lincolnshire
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,218
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm staggered at the price, but seems if you trust your builder it must be right. Word of warning it is a very dirty job and the loft will be filthy when they finnish.
Reply With Quote
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Helena54 is offline  
Location: South East UK
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 27,437
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Wow Jackie that's a lot! Have you got more than one price for this work??? We were quoted a couple of years ago coz we were "nail blind" too, but having had the new loft extension they sorted all that out for us and replaced the tiles. Some builders will go to the trouble of taking them all off for you, re-felting the roof and battening and then replacing back what they took off with perhaps only buying a few to cover broken ones. That sounds a lot of money to me and I'd be tempted to get 3 other prices from good roofing firms in your area. A completely NEW roof yes, but quite honestly, being nail blind you really don't need all that, just re-felting and putting back the old tiles, hopefully? NIghtmare isn't it with older houses, one thing after another.

We've just had to take out yet another humungous additional borrowing loan too, whilst we watch the price of our property dropping over the next year too! Mind you, the value we've now put on it, we're still ok with the equity we own so I'm not unduly worried.

I expect you're going with this one coz you know him, but I strongly advise you to just get prices from some other roofers and then maybe you could barter with him a tad? Worth a try! xxxx
Reply With Quote
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
wufflehoond is offline  
Location: xxxxx, UK
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 18,958
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
I'm staggered at the price, but seems if you trust your builder it must be right. Word of warning it is a very dirty job and the loft will be filthy when they finnish.
Oh I know that too! Year before last we had all the rendering stripped back to the brick then had the entire outside of the house latted out and UPVC cladding put on. We had pneumatic drills and render dust for weeks. It was horrific!

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Wow Jackie that's a lot! Have you got more than one price for this work??? We were quoted a couple of years ago coz we were "nail blind" too, but having had the new loft extension they sorted all that out for us and replaced the tiles. Some builders will go to the trouble of taking them all off for you, re-felting the roof and battening and then replacing back what they took off with perhaps only buying a few to cover broken ones. That sounds a lot of money to me and I'd be tempted to get 3 other prices from good roofing firms in your area. A completely NEW roof yes, but quite honestly, being nail blind you really don't need all that, just re-felting and putting back the old tiles, hopefully? NIghtmare isn't it with older houses, one thing after another.

We've just had to take out yet another humungous additional borrowing loan too, whilst we watch the price of our property dropping over the next year too! Mind you, the value we've now put on it, we're still ok with the equity we own so I'm not unduly worried.

I expect you're going with this one coz you know him, but I strongly advise you to just get prices from some other roofers and then maybe you could barter with him a tad? Worth a try! xxxx
This is a complete new roof Aitch. It's the original roof, the lats have gone too and there's no felt at all under the slates. It's completely knackered! The slates are broken and aren't even attached to anything up there! Honestly mate I'm surprised we haven't had water in it's so bad. The slates are so old they're just crumbling. It wasn't til he got up there today he realised himself how bad it was. This is going to be a brand new roof and it is definitely needed. He's going to put 'double romans' on to replace the slate as they're made of concrete and will last forever even in this windy, wet, salty corner of the world. We really do trust Brian and he's going to give us proper quotes next week. This was just his ball park but wanted to warn us how big a job it was. The scaffolding alone is going to cost about 2000! He had already dropped the price 1000 between telling John and telling me! LOL Think he's a bit scared of me!
Thing is, we could never sell without doing the work and we couldn't make enough profit from this one to buy back into the market so it's the least expensive option in the long run! Where are my lottery tickets?
Thanks everyone for the words of advice though, it's appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Toby is offline  
Location: North East
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,828
Female 
 
04-04-2008, 06:06 PM
My god, I never realised they cost as much as that! Think I will send the OH up on ours with his hammer and nails
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top