Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:04 PM

John Rogerson courses

Has anyone ever attended a course run by John Rogerson? Any good?

As I probably won't be getting another holiday this year, I am on the lookout for a tracking course (or similar) to take Yogi on and saw a few fun sounding courses on JR's site.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I went on a John Rogerson course with Tess about 12 years ago when he used to run them from his home in Spennymoor. It was interesting and we did theory and practical exercises including a bit of tracking in the moors nearby. I also did a course with Sheila Bailey in Derbyshire. This was my only formal training in working trials and Tess did well and won her first trial so I'm sure it helped. We didn't track in the competition because it was just the CD stake that we entered.
John seems to run a lot of courses these days. I don't know if he still competes. But I found him to be a very helpful and generous man.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm sure that some trainers from our club are going on a JR course in November... will try and find out the details for you
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 04:29 AM
John is one of the most knowledgeable "dog people" I know and I have known him for over 30years,as John along with ourselves and various others started the North East Counties Working trials Society. I can vouch for him 100%, I bought my first collie from him and trained with him for a long time .

Yo will enjoy his course he makes everything easy to understand.

Jeanette
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi Moobli,

I attended a John Rogerson Working Trials course with Cox a few months ago near Gorebridge. He is very knowledgeable and helpful and makes everything fun and enjoyable. The course was a little basic for Cox, but would be very good for Yogi, as every exercise was explained from the basics.

There is another 4 day course being held soon (can't remember the dates) again near Gorebridge called 'Crime Scene Investigation' and will involve relationship building exercises, scent games and a host of other things (which I can't remember). I think the last day or so will involve solving a 'crime' using the skills you and your dog have learnt over the last few days. The cost is £240. It is open first to the members of the training club I go to, and then remaining slots are open to non-members. If you are interested I can ask for more info for you.

I'm not going though, saving my pennies for the next working trials or similar course
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:14 AM
I've attended 2 of his courses with my dogs and would highly recommend him
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I went on a John Rogerson course with Tess about 12 years ago when he used to run them from his home in Spennymoor. It was interesting and we did theory and practical exercises including a bit of tracking in the moors nearby. I also did a course with Sheila Bailey in Derbyshire. This was my only formal training in working trials and Tess did well and won her first trial so I'm sure it helped. We didn't track in the competition because it was just the CD stake that we entered.
John seems to run a lot of courses these days. I don't know if he still competes. But I found him to be a very helpful and generous man.
Thanks Irena. I have had a look on his website and there are certainly plenty of courses to choose from. I am pleased to hear you found him helpful.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I'm sure that some trainers from our club are going on a JR course in November... will try and find out the details for you
Thanks Isochick.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
John is one of the most knowledgeable "dog people" I know and I have known him for over 30years,as John along with ourselves and various others started the North East Counties Working trials Society. I can vouch for him 100%, I bought my first collie from him and trained with him for a long time .

Yo will enjoy his course he makes everything easy to understand.

Jeanette
Thanks Jeanette - you clearly highly recommend JR, and great to hear from someone who knows him so well I have an introduction to tracking dvd of his, and I was very impressed with his approach and how well he explains everything.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Hi Moobli,

I attended a John Rogerson Working Trials course with Cox a few months ago near Gorebridge. He is very knowledgeable and helpful and makes everything fun and enjoyable. The course was a little basic for Cox, but would be very good for Yogi, as every exercise was explained from the basics.

There is another 4 day course being held soon (can't remember the dates) again near Gorebridge called 'Crime Scene Investigation' and will involve relationship building exercises, scent games and a host of other things (which I can't remember). I think the last day or so will involve solving a 'crime' using the skills you and your dog have learnt over the last few days. The cost is £240. It is open first to the members of the training club I go to, and then remaining slots are open to non-members. If you are interested I can ask for more info for you.

I'm not going though, saving my pennies for the next working trials or similar course
Thanks Skilaki. I have already emailed about that particular course, as I thought it sounded like a lot of fun. I haven't decided whether to definitely go on it or not yet, as there are also going to be up-coming courses specifically in tracking, which is what I am most interested in.

Do you go to Dacregan training club then? They do working trials training too don't they? Their website looks pretty impressive.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >