Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Stamford View Post
We do seem to have gone off topic a bit here.But I do not believe that the DDA protects any dog at all. I agree with SBT's post,Idiots,scumbags and so called hard men will continue to own,breed and misuse Pitbulls wether or not there is a law against keeping them.People say that there arn't that many Pits left in the UK,legal ones no.But im sure there are a lot more illegal dogs than people imagine and how do we monitor how they are treated if they are driven underground?

Yes, this is always the concern - and banning something, unless that banning is policed, can have the effect of bringing around an underground availability of whatever has been banned.

I'm not sure what the answer is

Wys
x
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 10:59 PM
People used to smoke cannabis when they knew it was illegal, they lifted the ban on that to a certain amount, has that stopped anyone smoking it?

I know this is off topic, but whether its banned or not, once the morons find something that has a reputation it sticks, illegal or not
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, (if it's wrong many apologies) but this article is about some vets and trainers who are attempting to rehabilitate some pit bulls, some of whom were used as fighters and some of whom were used as breeders.

What i found very surprising (and it could be a one off or not, I have no idea ) is that one dog who had been used for fighting, Sam, never attempted to start a fight with the other dogs.

Here's the link:

http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/td5.htm

I'm finding it really hard to pass comment - I don't think I know enough about the pit bull to do so I've never met one as far as I know.

Wys
x
Very interesting. Thanks for the link Wys.

I think it is well worth the effort in trying to rehabilitate and one example of how profound the environmental influence can be in overriding the genetic predisposition, is Cesar Milan's pack.

Whatever anyone thinks of his training methods, there's no denying his success in this. To have a pack of Pitbulls, Rotts, etc that were surrendered for behavioural problems, rehabilitate into a normal pack situation just shows what can be achieved.
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
If I've caused animosity, then I apologise. That is absolutely not my intention.

The reason I ask for references and the use of quotes is that this establishes where the text has originated which often gives the reader an insight into the motives behind the opinion expressed. If you don't use quotes, then it is assumed that you have written it yourself.

There is also the legal aspect to consider. If you lift and use text without quotes and/or permission, this is considered plagiarism.
Ok I understand now, thank you for letting me know, I didn't realise so maybe what I did was in a way accidental plagiarism, it won't happen again.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Ok I understand now, thank you for letting me know, I didn't realise so maybe what I did was in a way accidental plagiarism, it won't happen again.
No probs SBT. Thanks
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for the link Wys.

I think it is well worth the effort in trying to rehabilitate and one example of how profound the environmental influence can be in overriding the genetic predisposition, is Cesar Milan's pack.

Whatever anyone thinks of his training methods, there's no denying his success in this. To have a pack of Pit bulls, Rotts, etc that were surrendered for behavioral problems, rehabilitate into a normal pack situation just shows what can be achieved.
I totally agree with both your comments, and it's refreshing to see some success with the rehabilitation, as it is with any breed of dog.

My only concern is it tends to stray from the original question, albeit probably very naturally, among dog lovers as it it such an emotive subject.

When I first started researching, I felt unable to pass a comment as I have no real experience with pit bulls. I have only ever met one many years ago, and this is the only dog in a lifetime of being around all breeds that growled threateningly at my then baby daughter (she's 24 now). I would say though I didn't, and do not hold that against the breed as I didn't know the people we visited very well and have no idea if that particular dog had been well trained and socialized. I may have received the same reaction had the people owned any other breed of dog in the same circumstances.

However, as I stated in an earlier post I started examining figures of human fatalities by all breeds of dogs from varying sources, most have which are already stated in earlier posts. I was hoping what I would find would assure me that pit bulls as a breed are no less likely to inflict serious injuries than any other breed of dog. But, I cannot in all honesty say that is what I have found, in fact just the reverse and that is why I do believe to answer the original question that yes pit bulls can be dangerous. I know this is a very simplistic view and there are many good posts which highlight this already, but at the end of the day you can argue statistics but we are talking about many more fatalities inflicted by pit bulls than any other breed of dog.

I am genuinely sorry to have reached this conclusion as I really don't want to add to the stupid hysteria that is already around in the media and we all know the many faults of the DDA. We could argue the whatnots and the wherefores forever, and yes other breeds can also be very dangerous in certain circumstances too. But, that is not the discussion here. I have a natural urge to want to protect all our other dogs too and I can honestly say I have never read any of the press stories other than I have seen posted on here.

Bottom line is for me that after researching what I believe are irrefutable facts i.e. actual fatalities caused by all breeds of dogs if I had to leave say my 3 y.o. with any dog (of course I would never leave any child alone with any dog..but, bear with me on this one) however well socialized and trained or not they had been a pit bull would be the very last one I'd chose because of all I've learned of late.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2007, 12:11 AM
[QUOTE=Meganrose;948183
Bottom line is for me that after researching what I believe are irrefutable facts i.e. actual fatalities caused by all breeds of dogs if I had to leave say my 3 y.o. with any dog (of course I would never leave any child alone with any dog..but, bear with me on this one) however well socialized and trained or not they had been a pit bull would be the very last one I'd chose because of all I've learned of late.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point Meganrose and I would say the same.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-03-2007, 02:23 AM
Why are you asking me to follow the rules of Dogsey by using quotes and referencing when I use text lifted from webpages, are you just trying to arouse animosity, if you are then you are breaking Dogsey rules yourself,
thank you.
Please refer to Posting Guidelines 7.1

Quoting text – when quoting text from another site, please use the quote tags and include a link to the original page to credit the author. However, please note we do not allow links to forums, so text from these may not be referred to. When quoting a news story or article, please only quote the first few parapraphs and add: For the full story: [and add the link to the full story here]
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Please refer to Posting Guidelines 7.1
Thank you Azz I have familiarised my self with the Dogsey rules now.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than any other breed people make them dangerous. I do belive though they are the kind of dog that needs a special kind of owner rather than any Joe Bloggs down the road having one who knows nothing about the breed.
I'm using this quote... but there are many saying the same thing... that "IN THE RIGHT HANDS" they are safe enough, not dangerous etc etc etc... The amount of people who have said this during this discussion, suggests to me that most of us here agree that these dogs are more dangerous than your average pooch.... I've yet to see someone using that same sentance when discussing say a Yorkshire Terrier or a Cocker Spaniel for eg, even though I'm sure there have been instances when people have been bitten by such dogs. I'm not saying Pit Bulls are more or less likely to attack someone, but I do believe that if/when they do, they would be more likely to cause serious damage. Simply because of the make up of such dogs, their strength, determination etc etc...

I also believe that anyone owning such a dog in the UK is an irresponsible owner, simply because they have a dog that is banned (rightly or wrongly) and therefore they have put that dog in a situation where it risks being PTS by the authorities. I'm not saying I agree with these dogs or any others being banned, but the fact is they are, and have been for long enough now that they simply should not exist here in the UK. I would however, like to see the authorities take a tougher line with people who don't controll their dogs properly and those who use there dogs as a weapon or for fighting etc...

So in answer to the OP question... I guess I do believe that pitbulls are dangerous, simply because of the damage they could inflict
Page 22 of 132 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 72 122 > Last »