Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
So you wholeheartedly agree with dogs being crossed and people not being aware of the truth, facinating. That's my whole point, it matters not that they shouldn't be here, they are here and people do exactly as they want to do with them...Breeding them to god knows what.
Who said that?
Had my own dog decided to wake up one day and decide to have a go attacking my face and throat I would have been dead, there is no way I would have got the dog off, simple. Thats the difference - though it's hypothetically speaking as the dog was nothing but good.
Wonderful we have people agreeing that these dogs are being crossed and people have no right to be told the truth.
there are many dogs that could kill if they attacked. should we ban all big dogs? or only if they are cross breeds?
Who said that?

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Why is the current law dangerous, it many be wrong in some people's eyes, but how is it dangerous,??

Many people want many things, should the same ethos be implemented, because we want something, we should be able to have it

It creates a false sense of security as if those banned are dangerous other dogs are deemed safe based on breed alone when in fact behaviour should be what judgements are based on.

It also fails to control who owns dogs for whatever purpose which is why dog attacks have not fallen since the ban was introduced.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
I am a bit confused as to the last point you make as in the UK an APBT has never been a recognised breed and therefore is a cross I suspected maybe wrongly, that if you were to obtain a Pit here you knew that what you were getting was essentially a cross as it is not a recognised breed and this is the same for many other crosses which can be legally obtained in this country.
I posted concerning a previous dog of mine, going just a few pages back, I was unaware at the time of buying said dog that there had been a PB crossed into the line within the first 5 generations, it was only after extensive research it was confirmed what the dog I wanted information on actually was a PB, it took some finding out as not one person would tell the truth, just kept saying ''something isn't quite right there''......

I was eventually put in touch with a person who knew/worked with the person that started the line whom confirmed everything when I asked about the dog I myself could find no history on. Had I known at the time of purchasing my dog - I would have walked away, it would have been nice to at least have been given that choice, that's my whole point, half the people walking round with those dogs have no idea what kind of breeding is actually behind them.

I know a breeder of PB's in the midlands you honestly do not believe that they are sold for the pet market do you ?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Because we dont recognize the APBT as a breed it does not mean they are not a pedigree breed, the same can be said in the USA, they also dont recognise them ,

There are APBT here, along with all the type`s that get caught up in the ban.

Those who smuggle and pay huge amounts of money for the APBT from fighting lines, into the country, are not smuggling xbreeds , they are bringing in the real thing, the fact they are not recognised , does not make them less of a breed.

There are breeds (old established) that are not recognized by our KC, but they are still a breed!
Jackbox, I appreciate totally what you are saying yes there are several breeds not recognised by our KC, I personally do consider them(pitbulls) to be a breed but the majority of "experts" in this country still do consider them to be a cross of a terrier and a bull breed, which ultimately is what they originally were. And IO guess we could go on and debate about what two crosses created x or y breed in fact this does go on quite regularly within certain factions of legally obtainable breeds.

I firmly believe, and JMO, that there are still excellent lines of the Pitbull breed being bred outwith the UK, I also admit there are some poor lines bred for all the wrong traits. Now however the pitbull is indeed being crossed with larger dogs, by unscrupulous breeders, to create a "super dog", not a pit bull nut a pitbull cross, so this brings me back again to why demonise and persecute a "breed" because the laws are lax enough to allow poor unlegislated breeding with little thought or control on the ownership of dogs it for me all comes back to the breed is not dangerous but the individual dog can be
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I posted concerning a previous dog of mine, going just a few pages back, I was unaware at the time of buying said dog that there had been a PB crossed into the line within the first 5 generations, it was only after extensive research it was confirmed what the dog I wanted information on was actually a PB it took some finding out as not one person would tell the truth, just kept saying ''something isn't quite right there''......

I was eventually put in touch with a person who knew/worked with the person that started the line whom confirmed everything when I asked about the dog I myself could find no history on. Had I known at the time of purchasing my dog - I would have walked away, it would have been nice to at least have been given that choice, that's my whole point, half the people walking round with those dogs have no idea what kind of breeding is actually behind them.

I know a breeder of PB's in the midlands you honestly do not believe that they are sold for the pet market do you ?
sorry im struggling to understand your point. becaue you brought a dog without knowing its history, Pitbulls are bad dogs that should be banned altogether? Was your dog agressive?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I posted concerning a previous dog of mine, going just a few pages back, I was unaware at the time of buying said dog that there had been a PB crossed into the line within the first 5 generations, it was only after extensive research it was confirmed what the dog I wanted information on actually was a PB, it took some finding out as not one person would tell the truth, just kept saying ''something isn't quite right there''......

I did read that about your dog and I am sorry you found yourself in a position where you were duped, however that is not a trait peculiar to unscrupulous pit and pit type crosses. Many breeders cover up history, even of various pedigree dogs in an attempt to cover up undesireable "issues"

A pit breeder in this country not just the Midlands is highly unlikely to be breeding for the pet market I know that as well as you do. It does concern me a little though that if you are so against the breed being in the uk, and you know of this breeder, and therefore presumably the fate of most of the litters that are bred that you are prepared to state on a public forum that this is going on and not only are you aware of it as most of us are, but that you know of a breeder carrying this out. If it was me I would be doing my utmost to ensure that these poor dogs were not subjected to the fate we can reasonably sure awaits them.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
sorry im struggling to understand your point. becaue you brought a dog without knowing its history, Pitbulls are bad dogs that should be banned altogether? Was your dog agressive?

I'm saying it would have been nice to have that choice I could have and would have walked away from.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 10:56 AM
So you wholeheartedly agree with dogs being crossed and people not being aware of the truth, facinating. That's my whole point, it matters not that they shouldn't be here, they are here and people do exactly as they want to do with them...Breeding them to god knows what.
Crossing a dog does not make it a PBT, it can possibly make it a 'type' but that is where the mess gets even messier, as it is only a 'type', as someone said you don't have to even have a dog crossed with a PBT to make it a 'type' which the law runs on.
Cross breeds are everywhere, and happens with every breed, if it is a PBT 'type' crossed with another breed why is that worse than a Rottie crossed with another breed.
I thought the idea of responsible breeding and buying was suppose to stop the unknown breeding of dogs It sounds like you were caught out when you bought that dog, not the fault of the dog though.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
I did read that about your dog and I am sorry you found yourself in a position where you were duped, however that is not a trait peculiar to unscrupulous pit and pit type crosses. Many breeders cover up history, even of various pedigree dogs in an attempt to cover up undesireable "issues"

A pit breeder in this country not just the Midlands is highly unlikely to be breeding for the pet market I know that as well as you do. It does concern me a little though that if you are so against the breed being in the uk, and you know of this breeder, and therefore presumably the fate of most of the litters that are bred that you are prepared to state on a public forum that this is going on and not only are you aware of it as most of us are, but that you know of a breeder carrying this out. If it was me I would be doing my utmost to ensure that these poor dogs were not subjected to the fate we can reasonably sure awaits them.
Reported that person several times but as they have DEFRA clearance [Imports the dogs as something else to get them here] bog all I can do.

What you suggest, I buy them all to prevent them ending up in the wrong hands, so they can breed more
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Crossing a dog does not make it a PBT, it can possibly make it a 'type' but that is where the mess gets even messier, as it is only a 'type', as someone said you don't have to even have a dog crossed with a PBT to make it a 'type' which the law runs on.
Cross breeds are everywhere, and happens with every breed, if it is a PBT 'type' crossed with another breed why is that worse than a Rottie crossed with another breed.
I thought the idea of responsible breeding and buying was suppose to stop the unknown breeding of dogs It sounds like you were caught out when you bought that dog, not the fault of the dog though.

These dogs are everywhere, just that no-one is aware of what has gone into them and if they are, they don't admit it.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Reported that person several times but as they have DEFRA clearance [Imports the dogs as something else to get them here] bog all I can do.

What you suggest, I buy them all to prevent them ending up in the wrong hands, so they can breed more
Well even if you could you wouldn't as they are Pits. So then presumably if they have DEFRA clearance then they do not meet the "Pit Type" standard as set out by the IMO flawed DDA legislation? But you are sure they are Pits Bull Terriers - Obviously not knowing how you know this but I assume you know the lines they are imported from etc and if they are Pits then that makes the law even more laughable and frankly a complete waste of time IMO.
Page 112 of 132 « First < 12 62 102 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 122 > Last »