View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Spot there are varying time scales - White Boxers for instance would be culled as soon as they are born, thankfully not so many breeders do it nowdays.

If a puppy is deaf it is usally around four weeks when you can take it to one side and check its hearing. At this age the puppy has formed its own little character, is running around with its siblings and is quite happy with its lot. It is at this age I and otherswould find issue in putting a otherwise healthy puppy to sleep
I'm not sure about the deaf puppy thing - I think it is wrong to put an otherwise healthy dog down.

But no-one yet has answered my question at what age do you put a dog to sleep that does not conform to the breed standard?

I think we need to take each case individually. SB does not say what type/breed of dog she has, only that they are "large dogs".

If the dog was a mastiff type breed it might be more difficult for this type of dog to manage on 3 legs, Im being honest here, I dont know, I have never been in that position and pray I wont be. I think I would need to go a lot on what my vet had to say. We dont know what SB vet said to her/him regarding the dog. Each of us will have our own way of coping with things or not being able to.

Today I have had some very bad news about one of my own dogs and how I cope might not be the way you or SB or someone else on the forum would cope. My dog wont get better so I have to manage what time she has left as best I can

I honestly dont think anyone with an established long term companion dog who would be on this forum would advise PTS lightly. I dont agree with a lot of things SB says however at the same time sometimes we have to accept that we disagree

I guess at the end of the day we need to agree to disagree -on some things
I do agree on taking each dog individually, my girlie bouncing round here has a broken toe so no longer fit for purpose - whoever owned her did not pts they dumped her on the street and Im glad they did!

I so feel for you x Its heartbreaking and I know you will do right by the dog - thats all any of us can do.

[QUOTE=ruthshaw9;2138199]There are many dogs living happy healthy lives that don't meet their breed standards. In a top breeders litter there will be pups that don't meet the breed standards. I would even guess that there are more dogs out there that don't meet their breed standard than do meet it. I know a lovely Rottie who has a white diamond patch between his shoulder blades. He doesn't meet his breed standard. Should he have been culled?[/QUOTE]

It appears to some that yes he should of been - thats the bit I really dont understand! Ok if a dog has to have an amputation and you feel its the best thing for your dog that its life does not carry on I can just about understand. BUT for not being to breed standard that I cannot get my head around at all!

Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your bad news. A friend of mine just got horrible news about her Great Dane, an elderly dog who also won't get better and whose time is now limited. It's heartbreaking for sure. I hope you enjoy as much time as you have left with your dog!
Its so hard to deal with but in those cases it is down to knowing and loving your dog. I dont think culling a dog because it does meet with the breed standard is in anyway near that.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I'm not sure about the deaf puppy thing - I think it is wrong to put an otherwise healthy dog down.

But no-one yet has answered my question at what age do you put a dog to sleep that does not conform to the breed standard?

I do agree on taking each dog individually, my girlie bouncing round here has a broken toe so no longer fit for purpose - whoever owned her did not pts they dumped her on the street and Im glad they did!

I so feel for you x Its heartbreaking and I know you will do right by the dog - thats all any of us can do.

It appears to some that yes he should of been - thats the bit I really dont understand! Ok if a dog has to have an amputation and you feel its the best thing for your dog that its life does not carry on I can just about understand. BUT for not being to breed standard that I cannot get my head around at all!

Its so hard to deal with but in those cases it is down to knowing and loving your dog. I dont think culling a dog because it does meet with the breed standard is in anyway near that.
I would guess spot , in answer to your question , at birth, if showing an obvious fault.

They would have done that with White Boxers, when it was the norm to cull them.

As for deaf pups, then I would think it would be harder to make a decision as you wont find out till later,

Something I would find extremely hard to do, but for those who do take that action, then for me, its their choice and their pups, and if they feel it's the best thing to do , then so be it.

Just to make it clear, in case thought otherwise, euthanizing for not meeting breed standard, is not something I would agree with , but health issues, I beleive a breeder has the right to make what ever decision they feel is best for them and their pups.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Cant see why a colour would mean being PTS unless there were health implications directly affected with the colour.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2011, 09:17 PM
It really shocked me when i heard ridgebacks born wth no ridges had been culled ...
I did have a 10week old ridgeback pup with no ridge on my lap at the time ...
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Cant see why a colour would mean being PTS unless there were health implications directly affected with the colour.
I was just making an example. One of the posters said several times that she would cull any pups that didn't meet breed standard. I can understand culling for health implications but not for not meeting breed standards.
I admit I am biased as I have a deaf Dalmatian. I don't see this as a health issue though. I do think a deaf dog needs a special home and not everyone would want one or could cope with one. I have no dog training experience, only training my own pet dogs. I do have lots of patience and I am totally devoted to my dogs though and I do live my life around them and am totally devoted to them to the extent that I won't even holiday without them. I only book in places where they can come too.
I can see both sides of the argument for culling deaf pups if the right owners can't be found. If it's a choice of a life in and out of rescue or pts then I would choose pts. If it were a choice between pts and a lifelong loving home with me then send your deaf Dally to me!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

05-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I think we need to take each case individually. SB does not say what type/breed of dog she has, only that they are "large dogs".
Sorry but just to come back to this bit - I understand what you are saying regarding amputation in large breeds for example but to me (and I think to you as well) SB saying they would cull any pup who does not come up to breed standard has nothing to do with large/small/giant breeds.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I would guess spot , in answer to your question , at birth, if showing an obvious fault.

They would have done that with White Boxers, when it was the norm to cull them.

As for deaf pups, then I would think it would be harder to make a decision as you wont find out till later,

Something I would find extremely hard to do, but for those who do take that action, then for me, its their choice and their pups, and if they feel it's the best thing to do , then so be it.

Just to make it clear, in case thought otherwise, euthanizing for not meeting breed standard, is not something I would agree with , but health issues, I beleive a breeder has the right to make what ever decision they feel is best for them and their pups.
Thanks JB - I just wondered , not being an expert on showing breeding etc - how soon can you tell if the pups are not going to be show quality and how late would you (well not you obviously, I suppose the question is aimed more at SB) pts because the dog was not up to breed standard?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Thanks JB - I just wondered , not being an expert on showing breeding etc - how soon can you tell if the pups are not going to be show quality and how late would you (well not you obviously, I suppose the question is aimed more at SB) pts because the dog was not up to breed standard?
Basic construction can be seen at 8wks. The main issue from then on will be when they change their teeth, as nobody on this earth can say whether the bite will be correct when the adult teeth come through. The size of some breeds too.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
You are a sick unemotional person. I'm sorry but that's all I can think of what you've said there. You would kill a dog because it doesn't fit YOUR lifestyle. What about rehoming? What about keeping the dog as a pet? What happens when your dogs get too old to keep working? Do you kill them too, even though they have many years of retirement left? What kind of person ARE you anyway?
Please note the red part of your original post has been removed as we do not allow personal attacks on the forum.

In cases like this it's best to remember to address what's been said, not who said it.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Please note the red part of your original post has been removed as we do not allow personal attacks on the forum.

In cases like this it's best to remember to address what's been said, not who said it.
Except now what you've done is repeat it...which doesn't make much sense. *is confused*
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 02:27 AM
I think [and I am sure someone will advise me if I am wrong] that there has been a wee bit of a misunderstanding with regards dogs not meeting breed standards and being culled

For the sake of it and just because its my breed we will use white Boxers as an example. No one has ever carried out a survey of any sort on what percentage of white pups are born deaf and to do it adequately it would need to be done world wide not just in the UK or USA etc etc Hypothetically speaking just supposiing out of 500 white Boxer puppies born, one of those is deaf, is something like that any reason for all white boxer puppies to be culled at birth. White boxer puppies do not meet the breed standard because of the white colour, white or checked [checked being Boxers like Katie who have largish coloured patches on their bodies, she has a dark brindle patch at the bottom of her back] but her main colour is white

Thankfully lots of modern day boxer breeders are coming away from the old attitude that just because the white or check pup "might" be deaf, we will cull it as soon as its born.

Now you could have two international champions bred together and they will have hypothetically speaking 6 puppies in a litter. If the breeder is lucky, they will get one maybe two pups that they can run on for showing. I have known breeders run on pups to 8-9 months before deciding that they are not going to do anything or much in the show ring, [in other words dont meet the breed standard for shows/future breeding programmes] those older pups are "homed" to pet/companion homes. They are not culled or PTS - think this is where there is a bit of a mix up/misunderstanding

Sometimes there is nothing in a litter that will be worth keeping for showing so all the puppies go to pet/companion homes

You see no matter how good the parents are with regards the breed standard there is no guarantee they will have show worthy pups themselves.

I showed dogs for a lot of years and I have never ever known any breeder put a pup or dog to sleep because it did not come up to breed standard. I cant speak for nowdays but I cant see it having changed that much over the years - again, I am sure there will be someone who will correct me if I am wrong

This thread originally started off as the original poster querying the age of culling if pups [any pups] where born deaf. Pups will be approx 4 weeks before you can take them aside to check if they can hear or not and the ethics of having the pups that long and then PTS if it was found they were deaf.
Page 26 of 27 « First < 16 23 24 25 26 27 >