View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't think religion should be taught in schools to be honest. Learning about other faiths isn't really necessary, what we need to teach is tolerance and respect. Once you have that you don't need to know the details of each others beliefs. So for me religion could go and be replaced by a subject which I would see as more relevant to a childs everyday life.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
"fuelling the anti dog brigade ???" What do you mean by that ?

What's wrong with teaching children how to behave correctly around dogs and how to respect them ?

Religion is an opinion of a Faith and a personal choice. Even within certain religious communities, not everyone suports it, it's a personal choice to believe in someone !

I like Malamutes, my neighbour likes BCs, therefore should every child in school be taught about everyone else's likes and preferences too ? No it's a personal choice that should be private.

Educating children in all the different faiths is confusing and contradictory, especially when what's wrong in one faith is right in another, it then brings basic morals into question, which it shouldn't.

It's a Faith, a Belief, not Fact. School is for educating Facts !
As I say, it isn't a valid comparison as in Australia there are wild creatures that can kill...that's what the children learn about, you should not compare that sort of education with education about pet dogs, as that will fuel the anti dog brigade further, the comparison between deadly snakes and a pet dog. :smt002

As for the religion thing. I disagree, I think in order for us all to understand each other, religion should be taught, including all about athiesm and all about agnostics.
That's for a whole other thread though.:smt002
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
As I say, it isn't a valid comparison as in Australia there are wild creatures that can kill...that's what the children learn about, you should not compare that sort of education with education about pet dogs, as that will fuel the anti dog brigade further, the comparison between deadly snakes and a pet dog. :smt002
You're not seriously suggesting that a pet dog could not kill a child ? We all know that not to be true, but as I said previously, it should be about teaching children how to act around ANY animal, all animals are dangerous, and children should be taught to approach with caution and taught how to behave appropriately, which includes respecting the animal.

There's a huge lack of education on this. Many children grow up never having met a dog. We've walked past people who are afraid of dogs, whom grab their children back in fright, which will inevitably pass the fear onto their children.

Being around dogs is something that society does everyday, it's much more relevant than teaching about what others may or may not believe in !
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Today's Society, we live in a I want and I want it now throw away society. Nobody has to save any more to buy things and they can just go out and get with little thought process and can get rid of just as easily when it becomes too much trouble.
I think education is the key but we need to get people before the fact not after when it may be too late and this is where the popular press should be stepping in. I reckon that the vast majority of people who buy 'inappropriately' more than likely read them so that is where it needs to be. In short simple to understand terms and not too much info at once!
Becky
I agree with Mahooli, as she says just a total lack of responsibillity and so many people just don't care enough or can't be bothered to look after or train their dogs correctly, (which I suppose covers bad ownership) Oh and not forgetting the out and out cruelty that some folk seem to think it's fine to dish out to what would be loyal pets!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
You're not seriously suggesting that a pet dog could not kill a child ? We all know that not to be true, but as I said previously, it should be about teaching children how to act around ANY animal, all animals are dangerous, and children should be taught to approach with caution and taught how to behave appropriately, which includes respecting the animal.

There's a huge lack of education on this. Many children grow up never having met a dog. We've walked past people who are afraid of dogs, whom grab their children back in fright, which will inevitably pass the fear onto their children.

Being around dogs is something that society does everyday, it's much more relevant than teaching about what others may or may not believe in !
No I'm not suggesting a dog can't kill a child Malady, I don't think you see what I'm saying. I'm saying comparing a pet dog to a killer snake or spider, won't do dogs any good at all.

I also meet people who are petrified of dogs regularly, but it doesn't take too long to talk them around. :smt002 Infact my son's best friend has had therapy because he is so scared, but regularly strokes Cosmo,because we have taken things slowly with him and allowed him to go at his own pace,I see it as my duty as a dog owner to educate people about dogs and I have won a fair few people over. :smt002 My sons other friend is also petrified, but managed to walk Mo home from our house to his house last year. :smt002

My son is scared of bees and spiders. He has been around a lot. We have taught him about the importance of bees to us and how beautiful they and spiders are, we look at them, we read about them ,we talk about them, he still hates them. I am scared of heights, I've been up tall buildings etc, still hate them, I know it's irrational. don't care, hate them...being taught about them in school certainly wouldn't help me.

As I say the whole religion thing is another story and another thread, but just because dogs are important to you, doesn't mean they are important to everyone else..just because religion is unimportant to you, doesn't mean it is to everyone else...
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Dog cruelty & Dog fighting (IMO)
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No I'm not suggesting a dog can't kill a child Malady, I don't think you see what I'm saying. I'm saying comparing a pet dog to a killer snake or spider, won't do dogs any good at all.

I also meet people who are petrified of dogs regularly, but it doesn't take too long to talk them around. :smt002 Infact my son's best friend has had therapy because he is so scared, but regularly strokes Cosmo,because we have taken things slowly with him and allowed him to go at his own pace,I see it as my duty as a dog owner to educate people about dogs and I have won a fair few people over. :smt002 My sons other friend is also petrified, but managed to walk Mo home from our house to his house last year. :smt002

My son is scared of bees and spiders. He has been around a lot. We have taught him about the importance of bees to us and how beautiful they and spiders are, we look at them, we read about them ,we talk about them, he still hates them. I am scared of heights, I've been up tall buildings etc, still hate them, I know it's irrational. don't care, hate them...being taught about them in school certainly wouldn't help me.

As I say the whole religion thing is another story and another thread, but just because dogs are important to you, doesn't mean they are important to everyone else..just because religion is unimportant to you, doesn't mean it is to everyone else...
I wasnt comparing a snake to a dog (both can be 'killers' BTW) I was saying that regardless of the animal, children should be taught about how to react, behave and be responsible around ALL Animals and to respect them, which is far more important than being taught to follow someone else's beliefs !
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I'd say bad owners. Too many people get a dog without thinking about the needs of the animal. Some people treat dogs as if they were babies and others as if they were objects to be ignored or disposed of when not wanted.
Schools are being asked to take on more and more that used to be taught in the family. They can't do everything.
Education needs to start with owners.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4