Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Schools are regulated to the point of exhaustion, tested beyond belief and yet we as a society still fail too many children.
My primary school education was pretty comprehensive and mostly fun. My eldest who is now 27 had a fairly similar primary education to myself, although my younger son 20 had a different experience and if it has continued in that vein as I suspect, then Gawd help us.
Has education really progressed and improved? Or has it just changed?
I remember painting a lot at primary school and doing nature walks and gymnastics and having fun...there's no time for that now and going on a nature walk would involve so much paperwork...CRB checks for volunteeer helpers etc...health and safety appraisals....

In many ways it is much better now, the quality of teaching has certainly improved and many subject areas are taught better but the curriculum is full to bursting and there is very little room for spontaneity...everyone is answerable to someone. So...say it snows and you decide to talk about it to your primary class...and do a snow poem and picture...a month later when another, more senior member of staff checks the children's work against what you planned for and asks why they didn't do it, they won't be impressed with 'well it snowed' as they will want to know when you intend to teach the stuff they missed...

It's all down to regulations and paperwork and there not being enough hours in the day. Sad really isn't it???

Edited to add...and here's me wanting more regulations for dog ownership..maybe I've just been 'conditioned' into regulations huh???!!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Edited to add...and here's me wanting more regulations for dog ownership..maybe I've just been 'conditioned' into regulations huh???!!!!
There you go
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Without a doubt, bad owners, the other 4 reasons are there as a result of bad owners.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Bad education, bad breeding,and bad owner's.
People need educating on what make's good ownership.
Bad breeder's need to look at who they sell there puppies to.
And bad owner's letting there uncastrated/unspayed dog's out to bite kid's, cr'p in the street, and produce unwanted surplus puppies and expect rescue center's pick up after them.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Lack of Education ....But also the lack of "wanting to be educated"
People just cant be bothered to get educated!(these are bad owners & the bad breeders!)
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Bad ownership
Lack of education or wanting to be educated ,
Bad breeding ,Theyre is to many people in this world breeding to make money ,And not being properly educated on the pitfalls and consequences of there actions and ignorance , Therefore they become bad owners xxdk
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 02:19 AM
In Australia, all Schoolchildren of all ages are conditioned to learn about the dangerous animals that could be potentially very dangerous to the point of fatal. This is in the standard curriculum and takes the place of Religion which isn't taught in mainstream schools.

I would be more than happy to have children taught more about something that WILL be relevant at some point in their life as apposed to 'an opinion' about someone who might have lived !
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
In Australia, all Schoolchildren of all ages are conditioned to learn about the dangerous animals that could be potentially very dangerous to the point of fatal. This is in the standard curriculum and takes the place of Religion which isn't taught in mainstream schools.

I would be more than happy to have children taught more about something that WILL be relevant at some point in their life as apposed to 'an opinion' about someone who might have lived !
In Australia there is dangerous wildlife that could potentially kill children if they don't deal with it correctly, not so here. The children in Australia are not learning about pet dogs....the comparison isn't and shouldn't be valid or you are just fuelling the anti dog brigade.

Religions are massively important in this day and age it is vital that children display an understanding of different faiths, or how can they possibly comprehend current affairs? Or History?
Your 'opinion' is someone else's meaning for life...
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 09:55 AM
For me it has to be the ease of getting a dog, ANY dog with such ease... so you can get one on a whim, without research and have it a few weeks and then it hurts someone/thing or you get bored and it either gets pts or goes into rescue....
(I have had my problems, but I am not a quitter and D was not bought on a whim, I just have never had 2 dogs before )
Bad breeders will sell to all and sundry as with puppy farms and BYB...these sell to bad owners, who put no work into their pup/dog, these go out and attack, give such breed of dog, bad name and press has a field day, esp if dog is SBT/Rottie etc... and then every non 'doggy' Tom, Dick or Harry thinks its the breed of dog that is bad!!!
Stop all and sundry breeding and selling, make people show they have researched the breeds they want, maybe do a workshop.. and maybe this problem will ease?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
In Australia there is dangerous wildlife that could potentially kill children if they don't deal with it correctly, not so here. The children in Australia are not learning about pet dogs....the comparison isn't and shouldn't be valid or you are just fuelling the anti dog brigade.

Religions are massively important in this day and age it is vital that children display an understanding of different faiths, or how can they possibly comprehend current affairs? Or History?
Your 'opinion' is someone else's meaning for life...
"fuelling the anti dog brigade ???" What do you mean by that ?

What's wrong with teaching children how to behave correctly around dogs and how to respect them ?

Religion is an opinion of a Faith and a personal choice. Even within certain religious communities, not everyone suports it, it's a personal choice to believe in someone !

I like Malamutes, my neighbour likes BCs, therefore should every child in school be taught about everyone else's likes and preferences too ? No it's a personal choice that should be private.

Educating children in all the different faiths is confusing and contradictory, especially when what's wrong in one faith is right in another, it then brings basic morals into question, which it shouldn't.

It's a Faith, a Belief, not Fact. School is for educating Facts !
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >