Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 05:54 PM

Local Police Dog attacks walker

There's a man who walks in our park with a lurcher called Gizmo.

The other day a friend of mine saw a lot of police vans outside the Ponderosa Woods and as he walked past, this guy walked out looking very pale and disorientated holding his hand which was covered in blood.

When Nick (the friend) asked him what was going on, he said that he was walking Gizmo off lead in the woods (well, Woods and fields) when this police dog came out of nowhere and latched onto his arm.

The police handler shouted at the dog to stop but the dog refused to let go and just kept biting the man (sorry I only know the dog's name )

Now that's scary - I would have hoped that if there was one dog that was under control it'd be a police dog!
brandy barrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2006, 06:17 PM
I hope the man was ok. It would be interesting to see what happened to the dog afterwards, especially after reading the other post on two dogs being shot by police after attacking a woman.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Thats shocking,as you say you would of thought if any dog was uunder control it would be a police dog.Is the guy who got bitten ok.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Yes I believe so,

The handler did a quick dressing on his arm and I assume he went to hospital.

I saw him walking in the park today with Gizmo and he seemed ok although I didn't get chance to talk to him.

Yes Brandie Barrel I must admit I wondered what would happen to the dog...
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie

Yes Brandie Barrel I must admit I wondered what would happen to the dog...
I hate to think
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 06:39 PM
This is why I have reservations about the standard of forces & police dogs training & their handlers

My dogs that were trained to do protection work had 150% temperament & I had total control & obedience before i did any protection work & my dogs didn't just have 13 weeks training like the forces/police/prison dogs.

Now some police forces are opting for working bred Mals they are heading for trouble. TBH 99% of gifted older dogs are not really good protection material
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Poor Bloke No wonder he looked shaken .. Yet another unexplained attack by a dog that knows better?!?!

I hope they can find an explanation for the dogs behaviour some sort of trigger or percieved threat!

Rachel
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Has the world gone mad???
What's going on?????
Poor bloke.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2006, 07:32 PM
I hope that poor chap is ok, what happened to his dog?

I think there will probably be an investigation into the incident and rightly so, the public expect that police dogs are safe to be around people. The handler will have some explaining to do.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-07-2006, 07:55 PM
I do hope that a proper investigation is carried out on the officer involved as to why the dog attacked an innocent person and not simply swept under the carpet.

I know some dogs 'misbehave' sometimes and suffer from selective hearing,but when they are taught to attack and bring down people like security dogs-i would expect 100% obedience from them.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >