View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm still shaking now, really was a shock all our walks so far have been so happy and she is so friendly with everyone.
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2013, 02:07 PM
Im so glad you have Betty back safe and sound. I can only imagine the horror. Well done that man and his Staffie for helping a fellow walker!

Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Rang the police when I got home but they seemed to think no harm done and would be a civil matter anyway.
That really gets my goat too! While we may anthropomorphise and see our pets as members of our family, without wanting to equate dog-napping/attempted dog-napping with child abduction, surely theft is theft, be it a wallet or a dog?
If someone picks your pocket, you notice and manage to get it back from them, it doesn't negate the fact they committed a crime.
This person STOLE your dog, and you were fortunate enough to have a brave chap nearby to physically assist you getting your dog back. What if he hadn't been there? And what about the possible links this thief may have to organised crime; either pet-napping/ransoming, puppy farms or dog fights? A crime was committed and you have a witness. Civil case my arm!

I have family in the police force, so I tend to not be too judgemental of them, but in this instance I think that is very lazy policing.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I know it puzzled me because they treat dogs as property in court cases so surely theft of property is a police matter not a civil case ?
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I know it puzzled me because they treat dogs as property in court cases so surely theft of property is a police matter not a civil case ?
I wouldn't want to push if you are still getting over the trauma, but perhaps once you are calmer it might be worth contacting them again and trying to pursue it, if only to perhaps help prevent someone else having their beloved pet torn from them in a similar way?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Yes I might have a word with the voluntary police lady who is often onthe green early in the morning she is quite clued up on doggy matters.
anonymousone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2013, 01:40 PM
cant believe people so brash to try and steal from owners, interested as to what the community officer says, pleased your both ok, thank god for staffy man, hope this doesnt stop you from enjoying future walks
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Well she said she will have a word with the station and see if they can increase patrols, she wasn't too optimistic though as we are soon to lose our police station and they are all very demoralised with all the changes.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm with the other with it not being necessary but it's obviously your choice.
A lot of greyhound leads have a buckles on them (belt buckle style) which will take much longer to get off.
I mean ones like this. I've just bought a lead from them and it's due tomorrow - look very nice for the price.
http://www.blackdogtrading.co.uk/pro...ad-pid234.html
Pep_Sounds
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
I'm with the other with it not being necessary but it's obviously your choice.
A lot of greyhound leads have a buckles on them (belt buckle style) which will take much longer to get off.
I mean ones like this. I've just bought a lead from them and it's due tomorrow - look very nice for the price.
http://www.blackdogtrading.co.uk/pro...ad-pid234.html

Thanks Holly. Strangely enough I have a buckle collar, but never thought about a buckle lead! I can't quite see from the product photo how it attaches, but I'm assuming there is no swivel to stop it twisting?

I have tried to bend the ear of my OH on the subject but his view is if someone really wants our dog, or my purse or whatever they will take it one way or another. He thinks the best thing to do is carry a rape alarm and an self-defence spray like StoppaRed or Farb Gel. I think prevention by deterrent is better still though.

I have come across this product, the Lockstrap which looks like with a little modification could be a winner, at least for a large breed dog such as mine. I like that the webbing encases wire cabling, but some of the hardware is a bit too clunky to use as-is with dogs.
I think I could just use their combination lock carabiners, and make my own custom-fit lead and attach the carabiner to the collar through the buckle as well as the D ring - I like how it has a separate strap section to the carabiner which would allow me to feed a strap through and either securely stitch or rivet to attach one end, and perhaps have another at the opposite end, to attach to myself. I am waffling and thinking "out loud" now...

I suppose I could always email the company and suggest a new market for them to investigate - if they made the carabiner a bit smaller it might be ideal for a lot more uses. Surely worth them looking into given the current economic climate?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Just had thought, although not a 100% secure, the c clips are harder to remove so will give you a chance and they're fairly common with dog leads

There's also lockable carabiners, not sure whether you can get something to swivel with a possibly buckle lead though
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >