Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
One may need to pay a little more attention where ones dogs head is whilst walking.
Oh believe me I knew where his head was, it just happened far too quickly for me to do anything to stop him. He was by my side on a loose leash when he grabbed the cat. He did not leave my side at all. Or are you suggesting something like he should have been made to walk with his nose glued to my leg never allowed to sniff or relax?

The cat lived by the way. I had hold of his head a split second after he got the cat and got it away from him. And as I say, he nearly had another two that walked right up to him trying to make friends. If I hadn't been aware of where his head was those two would have gotten a damn good beating with his muzzle.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

28-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Why is it ok for people to keep suggesting keeping cats inside 24/7, but if we did that to our dogs we would be cruel?
It's just as cruel to keep cats inside ya know
Who says you can't take a cat for a walk? I used to take Cheetah for a walk (you can get cat harnesses)

Haven't in this house tho as it's fairly big - and she loves darting around everywhere.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Who says you can't take a cat for a walk? I used to take Cheetah for a walk (you can get cat harnesses)

Haven't in this house tho as it's fairly big - and she loves darting around everywhere.
No one says you can't....but having to already walk 2 dogs, as well as work...I wouldn't have time to walk 4 cats! (plus have the energy)

But as I said, Mine are fine in my garden, not doing all the things people are complaining about

My cats didn't accept collars, (plus Trouble got his leg stuck in it) so theres no way they would accept a harness lol
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Over the years a number of my cats would go on walks with me and the dog/s.

I don't think cat owners get off lightly there are always people moaning about cats or knocking your door to complain over the years.

We had one such neighbour who insisted our Skip was in her garden causing a nuisance, I said 3 times I couldn't see it being him as he only had 3 legs and climbing over several fences to get into her garden would be a marathon for him. But she was sure it was. So off I went to her garden and no it wasn't him, I said 'didn't think it would be as with 3 legs he would find that hard work to get to her garden.....her reply was 'well he is black and white like yours''

Note I said several times he had 3 legs
strange thing this black and white one had 4

Like Hevver, I don't have the problem of mine going off into other peoples garden, and they poo in their own (I know I clean it up)

Some people just need to moan IMO
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Mine come back inside to poo in their trays
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Mine come back inside to poo in their trays
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post

If someone elses cat is on my property tormenting my animals who are also on my property then yes, they are doing something wrong. The amount of double standards in this thread is pretty incredible! Honestly not trying to come across as hostile but seriously, if a strange dog attacked your cat in your garden would you be happy about that? Of course not, so why is it any different for me with your cat? Just because the law classifies them as wild does not mean you have a diminished responsibility as a pet owner to ensure that your animal doesn't hinder myself, my family or my life. If cats are considered wild, legally I should be entitled to 'take care' of any cat I find on my property, and to be honest if I did so the fault would be yours for allowing your cat to roam onto my land, not mine for dispatching it.

Not that I would of course, I'm just trying to illuminate how disrespectful it is to assume that just because its a cat it can go wherever it wants with no repercussions. Just like, just because cat poo is smaller than a dogs, doesn't mean I should tolerate having to clean it up.
Obviously not, but we are not talking about dogs so where is the relevance here? have the pets in your garden been attacked by cats? do the presence of cats really "hinder" your life?

In an ideal world cats wouldn't take a dump in peoples gardens, kill wildlife, 'tease' other pets, etc. Equally dog owners wouldn't allow their dogs to foul public places, bark at all hours, chase people, kill wildlife, bite people, etc. But as Ripsnorter says, what is the solution? realistically there isn't one. The best you can do is manage the situation, accept that neither cats nor dogs (or their owners) are perfect and get on with it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Oh believe me I knew where his head was, it just happened far too quickly for me to do anything to stop him. He was by my side on a loose leash when he grabbed the cat. He did not leave my side at all. Or are you suggesting something like he should have been made to walk with his nose glued to my leg never allowed to sniff or relax?

The cat lived by the way. I had hold of his head a split second after he got the cat and got it away from him. And as I say, he nearly had another two that walked right up to him trying to make friends. If I hadn't been aware of where his head was those two would have gotten a damn good beating with his muzzle.
Im not an obedience peep. Wouldnt want a dog to do that. Id not personally let mine put their heads in bushes though on the streets, you never know whats in there.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Wow an awful lot of 'I'm not a cat hater but....' kind of posts.

As has been said there's not a great deal you can do about it so just chill. My dogs get wound up by cats but come on, that's MY problem. My Mally also gets wound up by birds - maybe we should ban them?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Its never the dogs fault but always a cats fault LM. Funny innit.
Page 9 of 23 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »