Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mallodale
New Member!
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Molly

Molly - Black and white working Cocker spaniel age 13.

[IMG]C:\Users\User\Desktop\Darren\Pictures\2007-10-27[/IMG]

Hi, This is our first post. We are unfortunately faced with the situation of having to re-home Molly as we are not at home enough to give her the full attention she needs. She is old but fit and well and enjoys regular daily walks. Her bladder is not as strong as it use to be and therefore whoever has her will need to be there to let her out regularly. Molly would suit rehoming with someone who is at home full time and preferably don't have children-this is not for any reason other than molly needs a lot of attention and she deserves time, walks and cuddles. She is quite demanding, but is so adorably loyal + sensitive she will follow you around wherever you go, she likes to sleep in your bedroom in her basket and has a lot of idiosyncrisies eg. she will steal dirty socks (never clean) and either eat them or chew them! Molly is very affectionate and will lick you for hours (mainly loves feet). Molly is going deaf, and slightly blind.
Please consider her if you have lots of love to give and feel you have the time for her, this is really difficult for us as we love her so much and want her final years to be happy. thank you, my email is emmawilk@gmail.com.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Would you not be able to pay someone to come in and see her whilst you are out?

13 is awfully old to be rehoming a pet!
mallodale
New Member!
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:17 PM
this is not a sudden decision. this has been an ongoing problem for a few years. she is still spritely for 13 however she is quite demanding and really needs someone all day rather than just a dog walker or someone who visits.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:21 PM
I hope you find a good home for her She deserves it by the sounds of it
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:44 PM
To get her photo's on here you need to register an account with somewhere like photobucket and copy and paste the ''img'' tags

I think it would be best if you contacted ''Oldies Club''..

I wish you all the best in finding a suitable home for Molly, but I think at 13 it's going to be very upsetting for her especially as she's going blind and deaf
mallodale
New Member!
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:52 PM
thanks for the support. we have posted this same post on other forums and had some terribly judgemental replies. we are genuinely only trying to do the best for molly. Somewhere out there there may be someone who can give her that love and attetion in her twilight years that we are unfortunately not able to offer her. its not that we don't want to its just our curent circumstances and the reality of having 2 small children.
mallodale
New Member!
Female 

12-08-2010, 09:57 PM
also...she is not as elderly and disabled as people are imagining... she still goes for long walks with a dog walker, she's not blind, she just doesn't see as well as she used to (eg she can recognise you at 10m but not 50m anymore) and she is healhy enough to have at least a couple more years left.
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Also, if Molly is good with Children I wouldn't automatically refuse a home on the sole basis that a family have children - could go against you whilst looking for a nice home for her, though I would draw the line at young toddlers. Maybe sensible children of 10 years and over.. I have a 10 year old and she's excellent with my lot

Older children and dogs can have fabulous relationships though I do appreciate that Molly is old but at least having children around her could reasure her that she is in a loving family environment where perhaps a responsible older child would lavish some loving attention on her - could help settle her in.

I understand your predicament and I realise it must be truely heartbreaking - but, is there no way you can honestly keep her 2-3 years isn't a long time in the great scheme of things and this is all she could have left she deserves to be with you after giving you her best years. To be honest I doubt she minds all that much you haven't got time for her - at least she still has her place by the fire in her own home with her own people. Is there no way that you could get a friend or relative in to let her out at fequent intervals throughout the day whilst you are out, someone that could walk her a couple of times a day etc ?

Maybe getting an elderly family member to spend a couple of hours in the day with her so she's not alone for long periods of time.

Just remember no-one else is possibly going to love Molly more than you already have (I understand people will fall in love with her, but cannot love her more than you already have, and that is in no way meant nasty, I'm sure you know what I mean as will others) you've had almost a lifetime together, yes sometimes our own lives move on, we have kids (I have kids, one of which is just approaching two months old) but still manage to give and find time for my four dogs though I understand it is hard..

I'd honestly rethink things for a while, she's probably very happy where she is and quite content even though you may not feel so
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Emma , have you contacted Molly's breeder and Cocker rescue to see if they can help?

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/rescue_reps.htm
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Oh I am so sorry to read your post. I must admit that I was going to be very critical about it and read it to my OH who disagreed and said that although it a sad and difficult decision, you have been very clear about her needs and that it looks like this isn't a decision you have made lightly. I personally have recently got a working cocker x working springer and love her to bits and could not imagine having to make this decision, but I honestly hope you can find a loving home for molly, as it would be a shame for her to spend the end of her life on a kennel or rescue.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >