Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2008, 09:34 PM

Gnawing wall

Our 1 year old rescue dog has started gnawing the wall. We have had her 3 months and this has been happening for about a month. Can she be lacking minerals or maybe this is an emotional thing?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I`d get her some chews quick before it gets to be a habit!. Distraction would also help - maybe play more games with her?
Bibby
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-10-2008, 10:00 PM
She gets lots of games because we have a crazy Jack Russell she plays with. But this morning she chewed the wall as soon as we got up. I told her NO and she ran away only to return immediately and do it again!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Is it a plastered wall? For some reason dogs just love plaster and once they start you really have to get them out of the habit and quickly!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi Bibby, chewing is a normal behaviour for dogs but some chew more than others. They first chew as puppies when teething, and as the teeth settle in the jaws.
Some dogs chew from boredom and to fill the time, others just enjoy the sensation. My last two puppies both ate the kitchen wall (the same wall which was covered in wallpaper), they were only left for very short periods and actually chewed the wall when I was around and not watching.

Chewing a certain spot/thing can quickly become a habit, saying 'no' won't work because the dog will quickly learn to do it when you are not around . The best action is to block access to the spot that is being chewed in some way, I rubbed a little olbas oil on the wall and put the kitchen stools it front of it, or the clothes horse with a sheet on and always made sure there were other things to chew. I found the everlasting treat ball (from Dog Games.com) was a great help in distracting from the wall.
If you catch your dog chewing the wall distract it with something is is allowed to chew and give lots of praise. If the access to the wall is blocked your dog should eventually forget about it, mine has.
packleader
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2008, 11:12 AM
You can buy a anti chewing spray from the pet shop. Spray it on walls etc and with luck it will put her off the idea. My dog chews stuff to get my attention some times, a firm no chewing works though.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I once had a gsd who used to do this, and she ended up making a humungous hole in the wall! My vet recommended I put her on SA37 (a vitamin supplement powder) and it cured her from it. Worth a try?!