Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 03:40 PM

Work experience...

I have always wanted to have a mooch what admin/sales jobs are all about... so my dad is arranging for me to work in his offices for a few hours in the afternoons for a few weeks (unpaid obviously lol)

how sad am i?! always wanted to work in a proper office.... but... what to wear??? smart pants and blouse?? what do you office folk wear???

esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 04:36 PM
I wear black trousers and a blouse or smart top in my current job. In my last job it was more relaxed and I wore jeans and a casual top most days until I got made supervisor and then I improved my image!!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 04:38 PM
thank you

i currently wear black pants in my job but they arnt exactly what id wear in an office (theya re a cheap pair) might buy a nice pair (could do with soem anyhow) for work x

excited now haha - going to email some more companies see if they will take me on lol
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Just brace yourself for the fact that admin based work experience can involve a lot of filing and tea making! I did admin for work experience and it very nearly put me off so if you do get stuck doing the rubbish jobs just try and take in what's going on around you and what others are doing.

I started off in admin and did 4 years in it - 2 as assistant and 2 as supervisor of an admin team. Absolutely loved it but am now working in management to further my career.

Good luck with it!!
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2009, 04:58 PM
When I was a PA to one of the directors of Education, I had dreadlocks and came to work in jeans and a variety of Emily Strange t-shirts! The only comments I got were that I was a "breath of fresh air" in an environment populated by trouser-suits!

Almost three years ago, the director I worked for was seconded to Government Office North East, so I was transferred to another team. I decided I wanted to "mature" my image, so I went out to George at Asda and bought some grey pin-stripe trousers and a small selection of short and long-sleeved tops. Blouses look ridiculous on me The trousers are excellent - they wash and dry very quickly, so I stick them in the machine three times a week, hang them up before I go to bed and they're dry by morning and ready to wear again. They're in just as good condition as they were two and a half years ago, although now that I've lost a bit of weight, I'm thinking about getting another pair in a similar style. I never saw the point of buying masses of work clothes - no one remembers from one day to the next what you wore and I wear my tops outside of work as well.

Good luck with your work experience!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 05:02 PM
thanks guys

cant wait - ive decided im going to email loads more people and ask for work experience

i have no idea what i want to do - i know i want to really run my own business (livery yard ideally) but i am doing busienss management and have owned horses - so work experience on a yard is pointless imo...!

so next step is office based and make a few contacts so when i finished uni hoepfully i'll get agood job fora few years until i can afford to start my own business or whetver lol!! thats the plan anyhow
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Why limit yourself to just work experience?

If you want office work, try signing up with an agency. You should be able to find something part time to fit around your Uni hours and you get paid for it.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 06:45 PM
im already working

dont want to do temping as i need the money and with the credit crunch atm iam glad of the job i have
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Ah, never mind then!!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2009, 05:17 PM
thanks for the idea though - i was thinking of temping in office work if it wasnt for the credit crunch - butim in a very secure job,, *touches wood*