View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Doubt you would get an Estrela but you never know! They should have sustance without being too heavy or cumbersome. A thick double coat with feathering on trousers and back of front legs and tail. Ears should be small and turned back, eyes should be dark amber to brown, large wide nose and large teeth. Hind dewclaws acceptable. The tail should have a hook in the end, although most do not actually have a break. The movement should be a jog trot - no driving or striding.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hopefully you will get some judges Jacquie...if I were on my own I would have travelled to judge, but I have a lot going on at home these days so can't be as flexible as I was.

Are there any other breeds that don't have their mouths or any other part of their body inspected? I don't want to look a right lemon now do I?
We went to a terrier show where the judge asked me to put Parker on a table! It was wobbling terribly and he didn't look very happy but I didn't like to say that Kerries aren't a breed you put on tables to judge!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 11:47 AM
You may get a breed that you have not come across before at companion dog shows, always a tester!

So, if in doubt, make sure you have a good steward who can ask the handler whilst "lining up" so you do not look a numpty!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
You may get a breed that you have not come across before at companion dog shows, always a tester!

So, if in doubt, make sure you have a good steward who can ask the handler whilst "lining up" so you do not look a numpty!
That's a good tip...one of my friends is stewarding for me so she'll be in big trouble if she makes me look daft

I have to say, I've been to a few companion shows over the years and chuckled to myself as the judge has tried to do the terrier trick as my dog has finished running, you know when they put their fingers in the air to get the dogs attention and then move them....well we don't do that with setters, not unless you want to get bounced on by an unruly dog who thinks you've got a sweetie for him
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 12:11 PM
SBT balance, no one feature should over shadow. Muscular should be equal height to length with a tuck up. Tail should be thin and reach the top of the hocks. Level top line tail set low.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
If you get any NIDs I am not sure what the judges look for but a straight tail and a non patchy coat is always good, ref not being against the 'breed standard'.
If it is a Companion Show rather than just a fun show there should be no NI in the pedigree classes.

In Malamutes you want a balanced dog, NOT short on leg - there are some very short on leg dogs about at the moment. Small ears and the tail should be like a waving plume - not a curly donut
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi I'm not a judge! but heres some basics for Dobermanns.

Substance, powerful yet elegant, stands proud, tail held high (tailset should be continuation of spine) head held high, alert expression, teeth are inspected (sometimes counted, solid strong scissor bite) black dogs should have a dark eye and black nose and brown dogs brown nose and eyes (doubt youll see fawns and blues but you might want to look up famous last words..) eyes should be almond shaped and well filled out underneath (not round)all colours should have clear rust markings, white marks are a no-no, Long lean muscular neck.
tight cat like paws (not flat) tough and capable of great speed. Dog should be bold and alert. Shoulder and upper arm meet at 90 degree angle and when stacked or moving elbow should lie close to brisket.
Short hard coat with no ridges.

Not sure if movement counts the same in companion shows?

Movement should be elegant but with good reach, power should come from the hind legs with a good rotary motion and topline firm. Proud carriage!

Have fun watching any dobes!

We don't have many companion shows round here - what happens when its a crossbreed next to a pedigree? (if the pedigree is judged on breed...?)
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Hi I'm not a judge! but heres some basics for Dobermanns.

Substance, powerful yet elegant, stands proud, tail held high (tailset should be continuation of spine) head held high, alert expression, teeth are inspected (sometimes counted, solid strong scissor bite) black dogs should have a dark eye and black nose and brown dogs brown nose and eyes (doubt youll see fawns and blues but you might want to look up famous last words..) eyes should be almond shaped and well filled out underneath (not round)all colours should have clear rust markings, white marks are a no-no, Long lean muscular neck.
tight cat like paws (not flat) tough and capable of great speed. Dog should be bold and alert. Shoulder and upper arm meet at 90 degree angle and when stacked or moving elbow should lie close to brisket.
Short hard coat with no ridges.

Not sure if movement counts the same in companion shows?

Movement should be elegant but with good reach, power should come from the hind legs with a good rotary motion and topline firm. Proud carriage!

Have fun watching any dobes!

We don't have many companion shows round here - what happens when its a crossbreed next to a pedigree? (if the pedigree is judged on breed...?)
It can't happen, the pedigree classes are judged and only pure bred dogs can enter, then the novelty classes, which can have both pedigrees and non pedigrees, but then you are judging on best condition, or prettiest bitch etc., so the breed aspect doesn't really come into it
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
It can't happen, the pedigree classes are judged and only pure bred dogs can enter, then the novelty classes, which can have both pedigrees and non pedigrees, but then you are judging on best condition, or prettiest bitch etc., so the breed aspect doesn't really come into it
thanks!!

They sound good fun
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
thanks!!

They sound good fun
They are good fun, I think they are nicer than a lot of the open shows, and you always get lovely prizes too, you're lucky if you get a rosette at the other shows these days
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >