View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 02:52 PM

Why can't people leash their dogs around other dogs ?

Steven has just got back from walking Mollie and Duncan he had Mollie off lead and Duncan on lead when he saw people with 3 dogs (GSD cross, Black lab and lurcher) in the distance so he called Moll back and put her on her lead. The people with the 3 dogs didn't call theirs back even when Steven called out to them to do so as they were large dogs and Mollie can be nervous when confronted by bigger dogs. As they got closer Steven again asked them to call their dogs back they just laughed and said they just wanted to play so he stepped off the path into the undergrowth and got both of ours sat down nicely to wait for these people to pass by. One of the dogs a GSD cross he thinks came over and sniffed our two then walked away they passed by, and Steven comenced his walk keeping ours on leads as he was now approaching a road when he heard heavy breathing and racing paws behind him. Duncan turned to see what was coming and the black lad grabbed his little face in it's jaws ! It took what seemed to Steven like several minutes to get the dog to unclamp his jaws and poor Duncan has just gone to the vet possibly for stitches ! Why can't people leash their dogs around other dogs unless they know each other ? It makes us really mad that people can't seem to show a little consideration !
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Well my dogs arent leashed when in the park, but out of courtesy if I see someone coming towards me with a leashed dog or someone asking me to leash my dogs when theirs is leashed I do comply.

My gripe is with the people who shout to me "My dog doesnt like Boxers can you leash your dog" only they havent got their dog on a lead. Why should I when my dogs will not approach their dog unless I allow it.

i agree a little consideration is needed.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 03:11 PM
We always leash ours when we see people coming I thought it was a simple courtesy not everyone has a friendly dog after all, but I do see what you mean.
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

25-01-2005, 03:54 PM
This annoys me too. I always put Glazby on his lead when I see someone else with a dog approaching - I think its a common courtesy!!

If they then say that they are happy for their dog to play with Glazby then fine but I would never leave him off of his lead to find out.

some people!!
bart
Dogsey Junior

25-01-2005, 04:01 PM
we never leesh our two but you can normally tell appraoching owners if they are nervous we will call them and leesh them but if they seems no prob they stay off the lead only had 1 fight in 3 years and that was molly wanting to play what made me mad was theirs was off the lead and them saying your two should be on lead all the time and that mastiff should be muzzled we have as much rite as them walking in the fields as much as the next
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 04:07 PM
This is basically what happene dwhen Teagan got attacked.
She was on lead, the other dog wasn't. The owner stood there while I had to seperate them, the she said "Oh, he doesn't like boxers". But I don't have a boxer, which I told her! Her reply was "Err, well, he only likes some dogs."
In which case, he shouldn't be let loose, especially when she had children with her.

Same with the lab that tried to mate Teagan the other week. It took the owner 10 mins to come over and find his dog.

I hope Duncan is ok Julie.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-01-2005, 04:10 PM
When anybody with a dog is approaching me I always call Blackie back put him on lead and tell him to sit, then if there is any trouble he cannot be blamed, I also do this if I see a small child. Its only common sense and curtisy.

Ian
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 04:14 PM
alot of people leash their dogs when they see me and indie coming, i find it quite nice that people have the courtesy to do so.
There are alot of people who dont, but thankfully so far i havent met any nasty off lead dogs. Although it is always a worry that indie could decide she doesnt like them, then what

Indie is never off lead
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2005, 04:17 PM
i tell u wot annoys me most... is the other day we were up the common with indie, and this woman is walkin in our direction with her dog offlead, now indie growled at this dog the previous day when it was on lead, so i would have thought she would have leashed him. However she didnt and indie wanted to play.
anyway, her dog would not return to her when called and she explain that hes fine when they r on their own, but when another dog comes into the picture he doesnt come back.

IMO dogs shouldnt be offlead if they wont come back when there is another dog about, cos for all she knew indie could have attacked. luckily indie was ok with him and i love letting her play.
Anyway, by the time she got her dog back cos he was following us home, she gave him a right wallop , this is probably why he doesnt go back! that is what annoys me most! they hit the dog for not comin back, but they r themselves training them not to by hitting them!
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2005, 04:24 PM
I hope Duncan is ok, let us know what the vet says when he comes back please.

Some people just have no idea, I only let one of mine of the lead in the park but if i see anyone with a dog or child then I put him back on the lead. He will given a chance run over and sniff but thats not a risk im willing to take, my dog wont attack but the other might. When walking past other dogs in the street there are alot around here that I dont trust mainly due to there owners, I make the dogs sit and wait, my youngest dog is very protective of my and the other dogs im not willing to take chances just incase even though he is a wimp.

Barney Oldest Cav who can be off lead) was attacked when he was 5yr old, he was on the lead walking towards the park with me. I saw a wim running towards us with a ball in mouth. His owner wasnt around. His hackels went up and attacked Barney at the back of his neck. I kicked the dog away and shouted as mine wont fight back (luckily) his owner just walked past and ignored his dog. I called the cops but they wouldnt do anything even though it had attacked another dog that week. There has to be actual evidence of an attack or attack on a person before they will do anything. It was about 3days before the teeth marks showed.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >