Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
They are safe for people with allergies, as far as I am aware...
But they have some hair,

Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Oh - that old chestnut again
Agree,
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Never seen one before hun, but hello to your skinny piggy. LOL

Im going to have to pop a photo up of ours....although he does have hair and he's a big lad
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:49 PM
As you know, I love my cavies or guinea pigs, an obsession that has lasted 30+ years, she is really cute... never ever met one in real life though.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Could any domestic pet guinea pig survive in the wild, nope I think not. They are not native to this country! There is nothing wrong with a piggy with hair, I have many of those too. She is not a poor creature she is a much loved pet given the same attention and care as the rest of my animals. I appreciate she is not to everyone's taste and that many of you will never be able to see her beauty but she is from responsibly bred lines that are happy and healthy not some poor accident I have just created in my science lab
Do you REALLY think because GP are not native to this country they couldnt survive? seriously? What about Muntjac Deer? American Mink? Grey Squirrels?

The picture you put up shows a pathetic creature "engineered" for human satisfaction and experimentation. Whilst you may think its "cute" and acceptable, please remember many do not.
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Bless her

I have never owned guinea pigs, although do think they are cute. I was surprised to learn that they were probably first domesticated 5000 years BC.

Also that the ones that are kept as pets are not the same as the ones that still live in the wild.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Do you REALLY think because GP are not native to this country they couldnt survive? seriously? What about Muntjac Deer? American Mink? Grey Squirrels?

The picture you put up shows a pathetic creature "engineered" for human satisfaction and experimentation. Whilst you may think its "cute" and acceptable, please remember many do not.
One thing I do know is that if I shoved mine out the back door tonight to fend for themselves they would be dead by morning!! I am more than happy that you don't like her I don't like a lot of things that you do and represent as ok but I accept that you are entitled to your own opinions so I don't outwardly seek to be rude and offensive to you. Yes I think she is lovely and whilst you think her pathetic I know of people I judge to be the same. Don't like her don't comment, simple as.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:17 PM
She gorgoeous, her markings remind me of a saddleback pig (although that isn't a insult, I love saddlebacks ) are Skinnys rare? As if they are maybe Harmony and Lunar could start their own rare lil pets club Is it normal for GP's to go to their new homes at seven weeks though? I know so little about GP's as I find them too noisy

With the comments on her hair though what about Sypnx cats, Chinese cresteds or Mexican Hairless? What about cats that are bred where their ears are folded (Scottish and American curl), animals that are born without a tail like in cats the Japese Bobtail (Manx as far as I know is natural and found on the isle of man, but they are now being bred by man too) cats and dogs with little legs, the Munchkin cat I feel is bad, with the body being full sized but little legs, I've heard that these cats can not even jump onto a kitchen side because of their legs , then their is flat faces, with a few breeds of dog like this, and as far as I know with cats the exotic and the persian. What about dogs with small hips and big heads. There is something in so many animals that people can pick on, with some of those I mentioned I don't like, but Ali is showing her new baby, I'm sure that in the dogs pictures you have to start a new thread if you are going to critiscise something about the pics, why isn't the same respect shown for other pets and in this case?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But they have some hair,

Agree,
Yes on the end of her nose, bound to trigger a wild reaction

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Never seen one before hun, but hello to your skinny piggy. LOL

Im going to have to pop a photo up of ours....although he does have hair and he's a big lad
Thank you, look forwar to seeing pics of your lad.

Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
As you know, I love my cavies or guinea pigs, an obsession that has lasted 30+ years, she is really cute... never ever met one in real life though.
You should they are even more lovely in the flesh. They have a proper attitude to them. Still love the hairies too and she has a new little abysynian friend tonight but I don't think I'll put pics up yet.

Originally Posted by Luchi View Post
Bless her

I have never owned guinea pigs, although do think they are cute. I was surprised to learn that they were probably first domesticated 5000 years BC.

Also that the ones that are kept as pets are not the same as the ones that still live in the wild.
They are great pets hairy or not, I have owned them since I was about 10 and would never be without them now
border pop
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:21 PM
I used to breed dutch guineas and even with fur, they wouldn't survive for very long in the wild as are domesticated. Guinea pigs are used for vivisection, sad but true. Any variety make great pets so i don't see a problem with keeping a hairless variety. Have fun with your piggy
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

Dawn I think what you have said there is rude and offensive, Lunar is a loved pet, brought from good breeders, and now in a great home, how would you like it if I called one of your pets a pathetic creature? All the domestic animals that we have today were created, or actually you could say "engineered" for human satisfaction, espcially dogs, all were bred for different reasons, to make lives easier or more enriched depending on whether the breed was originally breed for working or companion, and man 'experimented' with what they bred to get the best in what they had too.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »