View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Dogs get over these spats quicker than we do, unless we make a point of being cautious or nervous around them... They pick up on that. Kismet will have a pop at Pharaoh or Selkie sometimes especially when there is food about. You'd think one of them was going to die. I dive in and separate and within 10 mins they'll be settled again as though nothing had ever happened... I have to learn to let it pass and as Cesar Milan would say, live in the now.

There is no point living in fear of the next time, you have to start again from scratch and look only at the this time. This time they are fine, this time they are not growling. Don't put them in difficult situations, feed them apart, don't leave toys or bones about and just treat them as much as possible as normal. If you are getting nervous, remove yourself. Go inside watch from a window, don't let them pick up on your fear and come back out when you feel calmer.

If it were me, I wouldn't cancel the holiday, not yet. Bring the dogs back together, walk together, hang out a bit and see how they are. More importantly, see how you are with them. If you can't get over your fear, there's no point in putting yourself through such a stressful holiday.

My Mum was attacked by a Norfolk terrier and cannot bear to be around them now. When you have been that badly hurt it's hard to put yourself back in the saddle so to speak. If the situation can be avoided, it maybe that will be best for you. But if you want to be with the dogs together then you will need to get back in the saddle again. Just remember the problem is more likely to be yours than theirs

Sorry bit rambling but hope you get my gist
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Great advice already given. I would take the dogs out together before the holiday and see how they get on. Also, make sure there is no chance of another spat by not letting them have toys, treats, food etc in each other's company.

Good luck - it would be a real shame if you missed out on your holiday.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 04:36 PM
I also meant to say that years ago my sister's spinone bitch and my GSD bitch had a real set to over a toy, and then went on to live happily together for four years when we shared a house together ... so bitches can, and do, get over these things
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 06:44 PM
Sorry I've not read the whole thing but I'd try walks first, then maybe try a 'pretend' holiday to see how they get on staying together. It wouldn't be good to be stuck out there on holiday if they weren't getting on.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Agree with what has been said. Try a few things out first before deciding on going away. I went away a few years ago with a friend whose bitch was a bit dominant. She ran with my bitch fine as Megs is about as laid back as you can get anyway and would never start anything. We played safe and fed them separately. We did share the toys but then that was never an issue. Meg would submit if my friends dog wanted it and would just walk away. In your case though I would forget about taking any toys at all.
To be honest I wouldn't go down the muzzle route. Did your bitch do all the attacking or was it a 50/50 thing. It's not that i'm against muzzles but if you're going on holiday you don't want to be on edge about your girl all the time and even if you had a muzzle, your going to be with the other dog 24/7 and you'll forget for a split second. When I went away my friends bitch was fine loose running but put her on a lead and she was very protective, ie, i was told to keep my girl away from her. The amount of times we got swept up in the moment and found ourselves standing there with our dogs side by on leads (whoops). We never had one spat though. To be honest though in the years of running them together there never had been any spat, we were just being careful.
Like people have suggested above, do a lot of work before you go walk wise, a night away perhaps. Then only go on holiday if your happy. If your not then no I wouldn't go to be honest. It's supposed to be a great week for you and your dog at the end of the day.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2