Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-04-2008, 05:04 AM

A beg, a plea, a request.

Further to my last update...

Whilst dealing with the event of yesterday I noticed that there were a large number of onlookers, sightseers and rubberneckers. One or two concerned citizens tried to give the lad tea, biscuits, sit him up etc. It was a busy residential street at 3:30pm. Yet until two charming district nurses (shudder) turned up, nobody else had, or professed to have, first aid training.

So, if you don't, then please PLEASE consider really hard.

The chances of a spot happening where you are the (gender irrelevent) man on it are massively remote. It is possible you will happen upon an incident on the street once or twice in your entire life. However, given the number of accidents/events that happen in the home there is still a chance that you will be in a situation where you have to make choices, take actions that will have a very definite effect on the life of somebody, be they a close family member or a total stranger.

Spend some time, investigate St John Ambulance First Aid training. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Look today. Enroll today. You don't know when your actions are going to be life enhancing and life changing. Please.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Good point Gaz. Fortunately, I can still remember the basics, and can at least clear an airway, stem a bleeding wound, perform the Heimlich manoeuvre and put someone in the recovery position. All of these can save lives ........

I guess what I'm saying is that some basic knowledge is better than nowt...
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Good point Gaz. Fortunately, I can still remember the basics, and can at least clear an airway, stem a bleeding wound, perform the Heimlich manoeuvre and put someone in the recovery position. All of these can save lives ........

I guess what I'm saying is that some basic knowledge is better than nowt...

Except, of course, the Heimlich manouvre is not called that now, it is the *Abdominal Thrust Technique*...and all the timings/counting of ECR has been changed again. But yes, if you know the basics you can make a difference. I still recommend re-doing it
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Yes I've done the training too, not just first aid for peeps but animals too!
Becky
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 06:53 AM
I`ve done the animal bit but it's been along time since I did CPR/resus....
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 01:26 PM
many years ago a young lad was hit by a car in front of me. i saw he had hurt his upper leg (femur??) but he wanted to get up i kept him calm covered him up with my coat. kept his neck still and supported.
he had fractured his femur. but the paramendics said i had done a good job, no training just sitting n watching my daughter n son at their first aid classes.
and u know he grew up to be a prize thug who didnt even acknowledge that id helped him.
oh well his mum was happy though.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Gaz webber View Post
Yet until two charming district nurses (shudder) turned up, nobody else had, or professed to have, first aid training.

And what may I ask is wrong with district nurses

Seriously though Gaz, good point.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Good post. Although we as Foster Carers have to do serious training in this department...............wouldn't look good on us if anything happened and we couldn't deal with it, would it
Gaz webber
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
And what may I ask is wrong with district nurses

Seriously though Gaz, good point.
I will answer this. I will answer it by posting a story from my book.
Have a look in *Non Dog Chat*