Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:16 PM

Ticks

Hi All

I keep finding little (and not so little) ticks in Otis. The horrid things keeps burying themselves in Otis's skin and i have to use tweezers to get them out with. Any ideas on actually preventing them?

Jo x
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:18 PM
ooh i have a friend who loves getting ticks off her dog!!! i have never seen one but i am sure someone can advise you1 I thought frontline stopped these? i am normally wrong tho
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Yup Frontline... or garlic...

I've given Luna garlic powder (she doesnt like fresh cloves or tablets) in her dinner for well over a year now.. We havent had any ticks yet.. Or fleas... we had a few fleas, but they were from Bella, my friends dog...

The powder I use, are bought for horses... I just sprinkle half a teaspoon over her kibble before feeding her.

Its actually an advice I got here
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:21 PM
I think your right katy, frontline should take care of them, or is it Stronghold for ticks? im confusing myself lol
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I have given Otis his first stronghold dose but he little bighters keep coming back. I have just read on another site that these tick things can be quite dangerous and can give him infections. having a puppy is a very worrying experience... its worse than having a baby!!!! (but the joys outweigh any of the worries)
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Well Frontline does it.. I have never heard of strongholds... and have always used Frontline.

U do remember to turn the tick a few times each way before pulling it out? So u get the head with out... If the head's left in, it can cause infection and sickness...
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Frontline lasts 3 months for fleas but only one month for ticks I beleive. I was told once to wipe tea trea oil onto the dogs coat to prevent them the lady who told me swore by it but I haven't tried it myself.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:36 PM
I thought you werent supposed to pull ticks out as the head can stay buried in the skin?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Yes Julie, the frontline works for ticks for 4 weeks..

Le, that's why u have to twist them around a few times clock- and anticlockwise.... Or so I've learned

Kamille's cat has had some huge ones..... yuk!!!!!
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2005, 03:43 PM
You can get a special tick remover from the vets -you can remove them but there is a method like Bellaluna said you have to twist them -I think its frontline that kills ticks or you can cover them in vaseline or if you dab them with alchohol they come up for air .
If you're getting them alot I'd avoid whatever place it is they are coming from if you can
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >