View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BarkingMad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-01-2006, 07:22 PM
I thought she would have had to have some qualifications and alot of experience to get her where she is today. I'd so enjoy her job, i'd like to go to America and work with dogs over there and her car looks very classy wouldn't mind that either

I bought her book online today through Tesco's should prove interesting too read when it arrives and it's alot cheaper than in WHSmiths too
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-01-2006, 07:31 PM
I think she does a great job at making owners more aware of their responsibilities with dog ownership!

and the candidates on the show make Vegas appear like an angel...
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 12:22 AM
I agree with Mini...

Also I just like the show cuz it is quite fun to watch! I wouldn't take her methods as the be all and end all but they point people in the right direction...None of it should be taken as gospel but their are some things people can learn from watching.

I agree with other folks saying it appears like everything happens so quickly...Those labs walked perfect first time it appeared on their headcollars and many of us know that isn't the case...I would have thought they would have thrashed around a good while while they got used to them...which could lead someone who tries them into thinking the don't work properly when their dog acts like a loon etc...

I think the programme could do with being longer and more in depth but I do like it.
BarkingMad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Yes i too wish that the show would be longer because i think it is a good show and im sure it's bringing alot of awareness to dog owners. Her methods at times seem a little radical but i suppose whatever works for her and as long as the dog isn't suffering any way.

It was kinda harsh when she showed people on the 1st series dogs that had been impounded too the dog owners but it was for their own good because it's kinda serves as a wake up call which im sure it does.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 11:31 PM
i have really enjoyed both series and have her book - there is much more indepth details in the book.

With reference to her qualifications - she freely admits in the book that she didnt start out as a dog trainer - she was an actress who did dog walking to make money - she then studied with a trainer, and started what she does now.

I think her methods make sense and in many cases it is actually training the owners NOT the dogs.

i like the fact that she raises awareness for rescue dogs as lets face it half the people in her series would be passing on their dogs problems if they didnt get them sorted as they were all saying they didnt know what to do with their dogs as they were getting too much for them - so what is the option that they take them to a rescue centre and hope someone will come along and sort out their mess?

If it helps to raise awareness of dog ownership and make people realise that it isnt EASY to have a dog, then i think thats great.

looking forward to the rest of the series
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 11:36 AM
great show, love watching,
BUT i worry that people will get a dog thinking its easy to train them and then abandone them when it gets tricky!
Bodhi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 12:05 PM
I think she is highlighting the need for trained dogs, and giving people the confidence to at least have a go, or investigate the concept!

From what I have read on her, yes, she was an actress, but now runs two dogs schools.

Perhaps she should highlight more clearly the Do's and Don'ts, but perhaps that is something to suggest to the programme makers??

I love watching her programme...
BarkingMad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-01-2006, 04:57 PM
It doesn't matter what her background is as everyone has a background and it's just added experience which has enabled and helped produce such a great series and so much so that she's had a 2nd series, so it must be beneficial im some way.

I find the show great to watch... for fun and purely because im interested in that line of work. It's also educationally valuable whether with her techniques that she's used or the facts and explination on proper ownership and dealing with common problems which most dog owners encounter what ever dog they own
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Don't forget it's on tonight Ch4 8.30!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2006, 08:06 PM
agree, it's nice too see newer methods and even improved ones and how they work on dogs today
What new methods has she used ? An Air Horn & pan lids ??

Sorry but she is presented as a "behaviourist" when really she is a show presenter with lots of assistants you don't see on air

There are many more less "flamboyant"(& one or two more flamboyant like Donelda Guy-Linda Barker's trainer from Celeb Dog School) dog traiiners who turn round dogs using dog friendly methods & TBH all the dogs to date on her programs have few real problems

Now the owners that's a different matter altogether !
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »