View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 02:01 PM

What is she doing? (Asking to go out late)

At night for about 2 weeks now this has happened and it is getting a abit much, it doesnt matter what time we go to bed she does it.

We always let the girls out before we go to bed for the toilet they both go, then they come back in and we go to bed, we are in bed for about 15 - 20 minutes then Dori starts moaning and barking wanting to go out we have tried to ignore her but she doesnt give in, so up one of us gets and let her out, she wonders around the garden stiffing then sometimes she does go for a poo but not everytime, then it takes ages to get her back in she just wonders around.
I just cant see why she does it she was so good.

Any body have any ideas
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh dear that sounds fairly horrific. I can't think of anything that would solve it though. Sometimes they go through phases and grow out of it though so hope that will be the case with you. We are still having probs with our youngest getting us up in am but he has improved in that instead of 4am it is now 5am However this morning we tried to make him wait another 15 mins and unfortunately he did poos in the kitchen. This is just to let you know that you are not the only one. Sorry can't be more constructive
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Thank you, i am hoping it is some stage she is going though
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure but perhaps the first time it happened she was really desparate to go but then she found that calling you worked & so she has started a habit. Its difficult if she doesn't stop but I'd certainly try not going down for a longer time, say at a weekend when being kept awake is not a disasrer. Of course this is only possible if neighbours are noy affected. Sorry cam't help more but I'm sure someone else will be able to.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Sue that makes sense. I think that might be what your problem is dori-kate.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Thank you, last night i waited about 15 -20 minutes before i let her out,Will wait longer tonight.
I was just worried in case she did really want to go, but do you think if she did need to go she would of gone when we took them out?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Is she OK to sleep the night through after you've let her out as you describe?

Just wondering if foxes come past at that time, often night time noise can be attributed to them .. in our house anyway ... and esp. in the Spring

Wys
x
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Yeah she is fine after. maybe she smells something out there then and wants to go back out, we did have hedgehogs out there not so long ago but they seem to have gone, but she was ok while they were about maybe she misses them
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-05-2007, 04:10 PM
When we first got Max he would bark incisively at around 3am to go out into the garden (he’s a rescue dog) and it turned out that his pervious owner would get up and let him out at that time before he went to work.

Well he soon got out of that habit as I always take my dogs out for a half an hour run over the park last thing at night. Not only does it allow them to go to the toilet, but it also knackers them out because of all the running about they do.

Have you tried taking her for a run last thing at night instead of just letting her out into the garden? You might find that it does the trick for you.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Hi Dori Kate I can't remember how old Dori is? If she is past the puppy stage she should be able to go out last thing then wait until morning.

When this behaviour started had you changed Dori's routine like the type of food/feeding time,was she due in season.

If nothing has changed maybe she did want to go out the first time or was disturbed by people coming home late or a passing animal (we have foxes/badgers and hedgehogs here which disturb the local dogs ) but the going out may well have become a habit now.

Changing the routine to break the habit may help, as Colin says try a walk last thing at night/ let her out slightly later/go out with her and make she she relieves herself then praise her lots.