Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Fly strike

Can anyone tell me more about it in horses?

Causes? Treatment? Experiances?

Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:45 PM
where and why?

fly strike needs prompt treatment in whatever animal.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:52 PM
I only have experience of it in sheep, however the causes can be things such as flies on open wounds, ulcers going septic, old wound not healing properly etc etc- anything nasty that attracts flies.

The treatment in sheep is wash maggots off asap, depending on what stage the maggot strike is at, you can buy all sorts of treatment from the vet which will keep flies away but soothe it at the same time. I am assuming this has already happened? Does it look raw? If so, the pour on treatments will likely be too harsh. If it is a precautionary measure then speak to the vet about different products you can use on horses - as there are half a dozen different products licensed for sheep, but not sure about horses. Your vet may even suggest a shot of penicillin if the maggots have taken a hold.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:53 PM
I should have also said that the kindest way to clear away any infestation of maggots initially is just water. Treatment can only take place once any maggots etc have been removed.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I should have also said that the kindest way to clear away any infestation of maggots initially is just water. Treatment can only take place once any maggots etc have been removed.
yip... warm water is best
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:24 PM
My horses' sheath has been troubling him today (went to kick me!). I have been cleaning fornightly with baby wipes (as I have done last 8 years) at the moment (but proper washing of sheath once a month with sheath cleaner as again have done last 8 years) and no maggots seen as yet, more than I would normally but the heat here is making flies bad, and it occurred flystrike may be the cause of his sheath issues.... Vet is comming out first thing tomorrow anyway as my horse has managed to rub his eye and is swollen.

I feel like a terrible owner right now
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Hope that all went ok with the vets today? I've never had personal experience of flystrike although am paranoid about my hens getting it as I know of a few people whose hens have developed it and some have died from it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
My horses' sheath has been troubling him today (went to kick me!). I have been cleaning fornightly with baby wipes (as I have done last 8 years) at the moment (but proper washing of sheath once a month with sheath cleaner as again have done last 8 years) and no maggots seen as yet, more than I would normally but the heat here is making flies bad, and it occurred flystrike may be the cause of his sheath issues.... Vet is comming out first thing tomorrow anyway as my horse has managed to rub his eye and is swollen.

I feel like a terrible owner right now
Sorry, I missed your reply until now. Don't feel like a bad owner What did the vet say today? I hope it is positive news.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Vet did not even turn up!!! I was at the yard from 9.30am all the way untill almost 7pm!!!! Apparently they are comming up later this afternoon..... I am not holding my breath though.....!

If they don't come out I will ring my other vets and get them to come out as an emergency!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 01:17 PM
That's terrible - what was their excuse?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >