Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IHeartDoggyz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2007, 03:59 PM

Toilet Training..help!!

I have 3 dogs my adult staff is fine.. i have a 9month old yorkie grrrrrrrrrr she is just not getting it!!..i can take her out for a walk or in the garden then she will come in and do something..also i have a new 8week old staffy pup..i was debating weather to paper train her or not use paper and just take her outside..anyway some of the time i do use paper for hewr i also take her out but my yorkie is now using the paper as if to say "well if she can use it so can i" or "well i think im being a good girl doing iot on the paper cos you praise madison when she does on paper"...[thats me analizing my doggys lol]
i have tyried not using any paper but still they do it anyway even if just been out. i know madison is only a tiuny baby yet but honey is 9months old.so i donty want her being like honey..id also like to sort it out with honey to.
plz any advice really appriciated xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi Iheartdoggys I would guess Honey is not completely housetrained yet in that she doesn't understand what is required of her.

I would start again from scratch taking her out at times when she is most likely to want to relieve herself, that is after food/sleep/excitement/when she sniffs the ground and circles/every hour, take her to the spot you wish her to use, wait until she starts to eliminate then say the word you prefer like 'be clean' so that she associates the word with the action than praise and reward. When she gets the idea reward randomly then not at all but always praise her.

Pretty soon Honey will realise that relieving herself outside brings a reward but going inside does not.
If she has an accident inside I would clean it up with white vinegar then biological washing powder and say nothing, if you punish her she may be reluctant to relieve herself in your presence, may go where you can't see her or could even eat the evidence.

With regard to houstraing the puppy, I would not use newspaper, to me this adds an extra step to houstraining and just causes confusion ...

This is how I would housetrain the puppy..

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=8974
IHeartDoggyz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2007, 03:56 AM
hi mini..thank you advice has really been helpfull..can i sa my yorkie has actually eten her poo poo..i have made the mistake of rasing my voice and saying "naughty girl" when she has had an acident...i will now NEVER do that again and continue usng praise and th word ''wea wea' when i takeher out/when she does it outsie,
thankyou ..xxxxxx ill let you know how things go..ill post another blog in a while xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IHeartDoggyz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:04 PM
HI.. well i am frustrated..ive done all you said mini..i know it wont happen over night and may take some time but today i had them both out for 40 mins!!! i kept taking them to their spot and saying 'wea wea..have a wea wea'..nothing
Then soon as we all came in honey had a poo behind the sofa madison had a wea and poo in random places...
I know madison is still a baby. I have never had this much trouble withn of my other dogs..honey is 9months old!..ive been taking them out very often..when wake up, after food, after play, every hour ish! but still both continue to do nothing outside only inside!!
anyme tips advice plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2007, 05:15 PM
I'd carry on with what Mini's said, it'll take time ofcourse. Also I would say, if they do mess in the house, take them out right away to where you want them to go. It's not easy, takes time but watch them too as Mini says, for any signs that they want to go, circling around, sniffing etc and take them immedietly. First few times seem to take the longest but once you have got them messing outside and are able to lavish them with praise, they'll soon get the idea.

Good luck
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi. It will take time but you must stick at it. with a new pup i will normally do wee breaks every twenty to thirty minutes. every time they go out i use a key word (busy busy's) and praise using the same word when they do go to the loo. if you keep at it they will both soon learn. but the minutes you see either of them sniffing or circling straight out side for busy busy's. good luck keep at it.
xx
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2007, 05:23 PM
We found ours did much better once we stopped using the puppy pads as it just gets them in the habit of going inside. You just have to take them out every half hour and persevere. You could try moving the paper outside if they normally go on that so it may encourage them to do it outside
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by IHeartDoggyz View Post
HI.. well i am frustrated..ive done all you said mini..i know it wont happen over night and may take some time but today i had them both out for 40 mins!!! i kept taking them to their spot and saying 'wea wea..have a wea wea'..nothing
Then soon as we all came in honey had a poo behind the sofa madison had a wea and poo in random places...
I know madison is still a baby. I have never had this much trouble withn of my other dogs..honey is 9months old!..ive been taking them out very often..when wake up, after food, after play, every hour ish! but still both continue to do nothing outside only inside!!
anyme tips advice plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
Hi no there will be 'nothing' because the puppies won't know what on earth you are talking about, to them 'wea wea' is just a noise made be a human .

First they have to learn what the word you are using means (I say 'be clean') and they will only learn this by being repeatedly taken out at times when they are likely to want to relieve themselves then having you say the words when they are actually going not before or after so that they associate the word with the action and are praised and rewarded as I explained previously.

This needs to be repeated over many days you can't expect results after one day particularly when one puppy has reach nine months and got into the habit of relieving itself indoors.

You will find it difficult training two puppies,timing is all important and you would be better taking one ouside at a time.
ramoth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Another thing you will want to bear in mind is that when you are trotting round the garden saying your key word you will probably be getting more and more frustrated and the more stressed you get the less likely they are to perform
Just like us they need to feel safe and relaxed in order to go
gaz
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I always paper train a pup and when they get used to it I then put the paper outside, This i have dont with many dogs and it worked for all of them, not saying it will work for all though.