Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 06:47 PM

I managed to make collar

I am so pleased with myself sewing is not really my thing its a long time since I made anything. But as some of you know I have been looking for webbing etc and I did manage to find some over here even though there is not much choice. So hopefully I can now start making a few collars to sell, here is my first attempt, the stitching isnt the best in the world as the only way to stop the machine is to turn it off

Culotte wore it to dog school today and some people are thinking of puting in an order
zarah
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Oh, that looks lovely - well done!
rossi roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2011, 07:18 PM
cleaver you we would be interested in one if you are making them for sale its very pretty well done petrina
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Lovely! Nice to have something that isn't mass-produced in China.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Ooooh Milkmaid, that is really good,well done, I love it I like the reflective clip too
Have you/are you making a matching lead?
The best advert of course is showing your dog wearing it that's where most of my customers come from,you could also approach some dog salon/groomers, mine charge 20% to sell my stuff. Even put signs in the vets etc..
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Beautiful! Well done!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by rossi roo View Post
cleaver you we would be interested in one if you are making them for sale its very pretty well done petrina
I will let you know about selling them once Culotte has test driven it for a bit

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Ooooh Milkmaid, that is really good,well done, I love it I like the reflective clip too
Have you/are you making a matching lead?
The best advert of course is showing your dog wearing it that's where most of my customers come from,you could also approach some dog salon/groomers, mine charge 20% to sell my stuff. Even put signs in the vets etc..
Matching leads would be good but I didnt get enough of the ribbon/black webbing this time to do a lead, I just got a selection (1mtr of each) of different stuff, so it will have to wait till my next trip up to Caen
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Very pretty - but to put a bit of a downer on it, have you looked into product insurance? With something like a collar, which can mean life or death in some situations, I'd definately look into some kind of insurance incase the collar should snap - be it due to the sewing or to the material's you've sourced (e.g. D-ring buckling over the pressure of a large dog bolting to the end of the lead suddenly, or the clip coming undone by itself). If an owner is faced with thousands of pounds of vetbills - or worse, a dead dog - they may come back to you looking for some form of compensation.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Very pretty - but to put a bit of a downer on it, have you looked into product insurance? With something like a collar, which can mean life or death in some situations, I'd definately look into some kind of insurance incase the collar should snap - be it due to the sewing or to the material's you've sourced (e.g. D-ring buckling over the pressure of a large dog bolting to the end of the lead suddenly, or the clip coming undone by itself). If an owner is faced with thousands of pounds of vetbills - or worse, a dead dog - they may come back to you looking for some form of compensation.
It's not a downer it's a really good point, you can get £2 million cover called "public & products liability" for around £70 a year under the title of "dressmaker" (this will cover dogs as well) You can provided your customer with information on wear & tear & that they should check on a regular basis. Obviously you won't be covered for shoddy workmanship so a triple stitch on seams with fittings on is a must.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Your right it is a good point, and I would be devastated if a dog got injured because of something I made . I am paranoid myself when I go into town with a new collar on one of my dogs so when I make these collars they will be stitched, stitched and stitched again and then just for good measure riveted. This is also why I have Culotte test driving the prototype.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >