Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mrsm142a
New Member!
Female 

10-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Puppy eating cat poo!

my puppy has eaten cat poo then grass then vomited x 2! Is this harmful ?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
One of mine used to do that. The smell was indescribable! She didn`t seem to mind though. They eat a lot of poo, dogs.....
eta - not something to encourage though. Cover the cat tray?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Harmful - No but a bit icky - yes!

Dogs eat grass when they feel a bit sicky but i am sure cats must eat a doggy drug of some kind because they all LOVE cat poo!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Use a covered litter tray & out of reach of puppy. Cat poo is very very enticing to dogs. Also if pup eats litter with the poo, that definitely wouldn't be good
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Mine go for it as well and other dog poo too... try and stop them.... not easy.. mine have not been sick from it though...x
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-02-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't think eating cat poo is particularly harmful and a lot of puppies are very attracted to it (as well as all sorts of poo and disgusting stuff). A lot of it is curiosity to start off with, but the best thing is to discourage it when they are young. This means not allowing access to poo of any kind (easier said than done when you are outside). If you can nip it in the bud it shouldn't become a habit, but definitely stop it when they are young if you don't want it to become established. A dog I had (from about 7 months old) never grew out of it. I swear half of her food intake was poo.
MooDog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2012, 06:43 PM
my 4 month old pup is shocking for cat poo eating!! i had it suggested to me to put things like bitter lemon, cider vinigar or tabasco sauce onto cat poo as smell deters them... not sure if its vet advised obviously just a friend who dont it said it worked as pup cant handle the smell, 1 like and he was put off for life, but i am not sure?? any advice - i have not done this as wasn't sure if would be harmful; but at wits end with kitty poo eating pup as well so i will be following this thread quite closely ! .........
DayCare4Paws
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2012, 11:59 AM
As others have said, the poo itself isn't harmful, per se, but the litter substrate itself could be. First and foremost, for that very reason, I would recommend switching the cat litter substrate to a wood-based pellet type stuff if it isn't already that type - NON CLUMPING. As the gritty clumping stuff will not be good once it settles in your puppies stomach.

So thats what I would recommend first and foremost - then at least if a little is ingested with the cat poop then it shouldn't cause any major issues.

Regarding the issue itself, it is very difficult to stop as canine noses seem to find cat poop totally amazing () no matter what you do or how quickly you see them and get in with a stern NO - chances are it'll be ignored as the smell will just be too tempting!

So the next solution, like has been suggested already, would be to persuade your cat to use the tray in an inaccessible area - either somewhere high up (high enough that is totally not accessible by your pup) or in a room they can't get in to? (Baby gate maybe?)

I found a covered cat litter tray didn't help as they soon sniffed it out through the not-great-at-keeping-the-smell-in cat flap on the front of the tray!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-02-2012, 04:46 PM
ask your dog not to eat the poo..train the dog,it works for me.although its intising. it is possable.