Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vlite
New Member!
Male 

24-09-2017, 12:54 PM

Skin rashes?

Hey all,

Two weeks ago, my corgi received her vaccine. A couple days after that, she develops some skin rashes. My google research said that this is common for dogs under 1 year old and going to clear by itself. Still, I am concerned and brought her to vet this morning.

The vet couldnt find any paracites, flea or ticks on her and gave a preventive anti parasite and skin vitamin shot. She also gave an ointment to be used twice a day, some oral vitamins as well as paracite capsule. The breeder (via phone) said it usually clear up by itself, but if not, she advised on using bacterial antibiotics.

I would like a second opinion on this. Other than these rashes (also found a spot under her armpit, back of neck and left ear). My puppy seems uncomfortable when those spots are touched and they seem to make her itchy.

She gets regular bath twice a week. The only change in her diet is the addition of chicken meat as she wouldnt eat her kibbles without it. Then again,I dont think this is the cause because the kibbles is also chicken based..

The vet said that other than the apparent rashes, she looks very healthy.

Thanks for the inputs!!
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170924_173357.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	5729  
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Looks more to me like a contact allergy type thing, have you used a different product in the house/ bedding recently or changed where you walk...maybe something has just come into season for flowering
vlite
New Member!
Male 

24-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by griff View Post
Looks more to me like a contact allergy type thing, have you used a different product in the house/ bedding recently or changed where you walk...maybe something has just come into season for flowering
Hmm.. now that you mention it.. i forgot to mention that on the day she was vaccinated, I bought a set of floor medicine used to mop the floor sold at the vet. The packaging claims that it sterilizes the floor without the need of additional mopping, so it could be some pretty strong stuffs. So I used it since the first day she was vaccinated.

I will try using the old floor medicine before using any meds by the vet.

If it is indeed the cause, how long does it take until it clears up on its own?
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Puppies are very sensitives to cleaners and disinfectants. Do you need to use floor products to "sterilize" your floor - bearing in mind that no floor people walk on can be a sterile environment. If I were you I would try just cleaning with hot water only for a while and make sure the floor is always dry. It is difficult to say how long a rash will take to clear up on its own, but puppies do need to gain their own protection/immunity to germs/bacteria etc. and this usually comes with age. Just be careful what you use with a young pup around would be the best advice I could give and the floor does not need to be sterile - just clean.
vlite
New Member!
Male 

25-09-2017, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Puppies are very sensitives to cleaners and disinfectants. Do you need to use floor products to "sterilize" your floor - bearing in mind that no floor people walk on can be a sterile environment. If I were you I would try just cleaning with hot water only for a while and make sure the floor is always dry. It is difficult to say how long a rash will take to clear up on its own, but puppies do need to gain their own protection/immunity to germs/bacteria etc. and this usually comes with age. Just be careful what you use with a young pup around would be the best advice I could give and the floor does not need to be sterile - just clean.
Yes, I bought the products thinking they would help me with cleaning her crate, and thinking it would be safe to use since I got them from the vet shop. I have stopped using it and have been using water to mop the floor. I will see how this goes

If possible, I would like to avoid any medications at this moment. She looks healthy other than that (which may caused her itch too)
vlite
New Member!
Male 

19-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Update: Her skin problem is gone by now and her stomach is completely clean without any medication!!��. I think it was the floor meds that did it. Since I stopped using it, she gradually gets better and better.

Thank you all for the responses!!