Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 10:22 PM

Trailing....

We love walking and as Chase gets bigger, we want to go walking and backpacking etc with him, on hiking holidays.

Does anyone else do this?

Any particularly lovely places?

Thanks
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-04-2010, 06:15 AM
Anglesey is beautiful for dog walking, have you thought about a backpack for your dog i saw loads of them on holiday and the dogs seemed quite content to carry stuff.
Walking with your dogs in the countryside or up a mountain or indeed a hill is what a dog is made for, they love it, just follow the dog walking code and you will encounter very few problems.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Thee is nowhere nicer than the Scottish Highlands
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
There is nowhere nicer than the Scottish Highlands
agreed Infact, anywhere in Scotland, but in my experience the higher or the further the Island the better. So dog friendly, plenty of pubs you can take him in to eat. Just please respect the local wildlife and stock. Ooo you should definately do it! We are also trying South Ireland later this year with them. Walking holidays really are the highlight of our year. We always stay in a cottage. Chase will love it.

Doggy backpacks are great

This is actually Keisha up Mount Snowdon I think! But she's worn it up many a Scottish mountain track too.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Yup Scotland is great
I also had my pair in the Lake district last year and it was fab - so many walks and plenty dog friendly pubs and shops

Infact in one pub we had checked there were no dogs in there (too much for Mia to deal with) and we had just got our food when a lady came in with a dog, Mia started freaking out and I was just about to go outside when the owner came over, told me to finish my dinner while she played with and distracted Mia
It seemed the whole place was not only dog friendly but they were understanding too

Wales is fab too

With walking I would build it up with your pup, its important to wait till their bones are properly formed - but you also have to build up the muscles and stamina - I hate to see a dog who has only been for short lead walks then dragged out for an all day hike
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Awww all sound perfect! Will definitely have a look at all the spots mentioned

Any other pics or location suggestions welcomed also will check out a doggy backpack they look fab, will just get Chase used to having one on for the time being rather than anything in it until he's a little older
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2010, 12:14 PM
Idont really do this sort of thing, but I've seen these advertised, and I think that they would probally be better as in the weight being more distrubited then the one that Keisha is wearing (mine have one of them each too though )

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/3-pea...-harness-30817

This ones exclusive to PaH, but there must be a simalar one elsewhere (Honey and Diesel back pack was also from there but cheaper )