Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by gordon lover
And well, a good reputable breeder is a must for me in any breed
of course - I didnt put that well - perhaps I should say it the othjer way round - there are a lot of very NOT reputable staffy breeders in particular !!!

dani

have now edited twice and still cant get it to sound like good english
basically there are loads of dodgy staffie breeders !!! lol
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 09:24 PM
lol, when a breed gets so popular it becomes a victim of it's own popularity Unless the kennel was recommended by many reputable people I wouldn't dream of shipping a pup from the UK without seeing the conditions first

So it's no problem I got exactly what you meant.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Im not sure on what kind of work, but staffs do well in agilty!
someone should be along to help
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2005, 12:40 AM
American Bulldogs are easily trained as long as it's firm and consistant they are not a dog for the faint hearted. They are really intelligent and perhaps not quite as stubborn as a Staffie, my AB has been a lot easier to train than any other dog I have here that lives with us and that includes a Staffie X.

They are an amazing working dog they love A-Frame, Springpole & Flirtpole and do VERY well at weight pull. I would say go with the AB if you want a dog full of energy and drive, not saying that because I am biased because I am not, but AB's almost always do well in everything they do and you should NEVER under estimate their intelligence because they have lots of it
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 09:37 AM
i have ten northern inuits and one am bulldog, [and a cat] and ive got to say shes been no problem at all, she gets on with all the inuits and the cat and has shown no sighn of aggretion at all.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Get a Boxer Kate
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Hi Kate

I was wondering the same thing about socializing staffies to be friendlierwith other dogs.

opinions are divided it seems but have a look here:

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/sbt-s_23198.html
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 10:39 AM
BTW if it was me (and I'm not an expert) I would get an AB.

The ones I've met have been AMAZING and IMO have a build more suited for sport than staffs?

(NO OFFENCE TO STAFFY PEOPLE, PLEASE DON'T JUMP DOWN MY THROAT!)
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Both are great breeds, quite different though. Staffords are great all round dogs, they are excellent companions and fabulous with people so make great house pets. They are also very determined little dogs and excel in sports such as weightpull and agility etc I have seen quite a few go on to become PAT dogs and have known some that were used for hunting too they are very versatile and very tough, not to be underestimated and not for everybody. Everything they do they give 100%. I have found them fairly easy to train mainly because they are so willing to please, everything they do they will go that extra bit further to please you so for that reason they are usually easy to train. Like most bull breeds though they do have a mind of their own and can be stubborn and head strong. They need firm training, although not a large dog they are very strong for their size and can be biosterous so need to be kept in check and know who is boss. Aggression is just something you will have to accept if you take on the breed, it is impossible to say whether or not your dog would be aggressive towards other dogs but just be aware the Stafford was bred as a fighting dog and does have a high tendency to be aggressive to other dogs. With my own dogs they accept other dogs that are brought into the household and get along okay with other dogs they have been brought up with. Consider lines closely, there is quite a range of "types" within both the SBT and the AB if you want a working dog you will need to consider what lines/type suits your lifestyle best as both have lines/types from a more working background and then you have the ones from a predominantly show background you will notice the differences in body type etc when looking at them. Other than that good luck.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks everyone, just what I was looking for I've not made my decision yet!! But the Am. Bulldog is now firmly on my list, and well, so is the Staff I suppose

And SB thats not fair :smt005 I'd take a Boxer, I'd be happy with a Boxer!! Can they track?!! Agility?!! I'd go for one now if I could find a good breeder
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >