Female 

27-09-2005, 02:58 PM
we had gypsy chipped after her first jab
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Hi MC

My vets wanted to do the same thing, chip Archie when we had him neutered.

I told him I wasn't sure if I wanted him neutered but I was sure I wanted him chipped - so could they pelase do it with his 2nd jab - they did!

The reason they gave me was that as it's a bit painful, they could save him the pain and chip him while he was under anaesthetic for being neutered.

Just tell them what you want - you don't have to be sneaky about it! It's your dog, you're in charge!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 03:46 PM
bruno got chipped when we got him at 2yrs old - he didnt notice the needle at all and licked the vet when he was doing it !!! LOL - Honestly he is so thick skinned !! LOL
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 03:53 PM
LOL I'll be honest - Archie screamed like a girl
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Brilliant thanks Joedee - will look into it - I've been trying to find a ferry company near Kent - I would have thought someone did a ferry to Denmark but alas no only in the northish area

Will check out your info - thanks really appreciate it
LOL the is always the channel tunnel but you have to comply with the French regs that way

You could always come oop norf & take the North Sea Ferry over night to Rotterdam & then on to Denmark The new ferries are really nice & you get a good nights sleep ! Dead easy driving through Holland too

Roy has just had his jab lol this time by a young scottish vet who was with one of the senior vets last week when I took one of the Cavaliers for his heart check. he'd never seen a dog fall asleep whilst at the vets, but then Kaycee is a very laid back dog He's been known to fall asleep on the judging table at shows !

Going back in 4 weeks for the blood tests(will have to check as I thought it was 30 days !) If I'm really lucky the ISDS will have sent me his reg cert so I can have the blood taken for his DNA tests at the same time.
alanoman
New Member!
Male 

27-09-2005, 04:21 PM
You can get your pet fitted with a microchip at any time but remember it must be done BEFORE it is vaccinated against rabies and then blood tested.
You cannot vaccinate your pet before they are three months old so as long as they have reached that marker, get your pet chipped and then vaccinated making sure all vaccination details are recorded and stamped on her record which will now have her new unique chip number!!! There is noneed to do it before 3 months old and just before the first vaccination should avoid losing the number !!!!
To avoid any problems with reading chips, ensure that the chip conforms with ISO 11784 or Annex A of ISO Standard 11785 (should not be a problem at UK vets).

The syringe for implanting the chip isn't small but there is no call to sedate the pet !

Cheers
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 04:27 PM
It's all stated in Joedee's defra link Alanoman, thanks though.

PS it wasn't going to be done before or during the first vaccination - this time has well past.

Thanks Tuti & Joedee
findahou
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Hi Maplecottage, Our vet recomended that we had our dogs microchipped at 8wks with the 1st injection as they could stray or even worse be pupnapped from the garden.....having them done ASAP proves your the owner if any of the above happens..... If you wait and they stray how are you going to prove ownership?

Makes sence to get it done ASAP....dont you think???
Hope this helps Sandi
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 05:58 PM
He's tattooed and we will be going down the dna route as well.

Unfortunately my vet is reluctant to do it just yet - so will have to wait until things cool off then I'll book him in for it

I'm not too concerned about theft - it would be very hard to break into our garden - there is no easy outside access (3 secure gates to get through) unless you paraglided in and for safety's sake both myself and OH will be walking him once he is able to leave our garden which will be in a week's time.

Originally Posted by findahou
Hi Maplecottage, Our vet recomended that we had our dogs microchipped at 8wks with the 1st injection as they could stray or even worse be pupnapped from the garden.....having them done ASAP proves your the owner if any of the above happens..... If you wait and they stray how are you going to prove ownership?

Makes sence to get it done ASAP....dont you think???
Hope this helps Sandi
Claire&Jay
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2005, 06:54 PM
I got Bear microchipped last week with his first jab.xx
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >