View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-02-2012, 01:14 AM

Time between replacing or upgrading your computer?

How often are you finding you are replacing or upgrading your computers? Or adding new ones (such as laptops) that are rendering old ones obsolete (not used any more).
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Every few years but only since I invested in
IPhone & iPad.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Every few years for me too. I had a Sony Vaio that lasted for a while, but in the end became just a pain in the proverbial.

I now have another Sony Vaio where the hard drive is built in. It has a touch screen and is rather posh.

I can only hope it lasts a while.....

Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 07:01 AM
I seem to have replaced mine every 3-4 years for various reasons. It's amazing how quickly new technology comes along!

Helen
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 07:14 AM
We tend to get my son's cast offs, but did buy this one I'm using about 4 or 5 years ago.

Don't do an awful lot of serious work on them these days so this one suits fine. Hubby's (cast off) is about 2-3 years old.
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2012, 07:20 AM
the laptop i'm on now i bought about 6 months ago because the old 1 started making funny noises and didn't want to risk loosing my uni work. i bought the old 1 about 4 years prior
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2012, 08:25 AM
OH's had a new one just before Christmas, to replace a cheap one he'd had about 3 years which suddenly died.

I've had mine for four years. I actually built it, so I guess I chose the parts well. I would like to replace the case, but other than that, I'll just replace parts as they either wear out, or I can't play new games any more.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-02-2012, 08:37 AM
I have a PC not a laptop, and am currently on my 4th box, 2nd hard drive, and 3rd motherboard since Effie, my computer guy, built my first computer in ~March 2005.

As far as the OS goes, I started with XP Pro and am now on Windows 7 Ultimate.

I am on my second monitor. Keyboards are replaced as and when needed - mice chombled the edges of a row of keys on one, I drowned an 8 day old one when a 1½ litre bottle of diet cola exploded all over it, I thumped one with my fist because keys kept sticking and smashed it, etc etc etc. and I now use wireless ones - and a wireless mouse. Effie always gets me two when I need a new one so I always have spares for emergencies.

Box #1 was a massive thing on the floor and I managed to rip the front and side off it when reversing when I had had it about 8 months. Effie then got me a box which fitted on a shelf at the side of my table, transferring all the innards from the original one.

Box #2 - It was treacling so Effie took it to give it a good service and while he had it the hard drive gave its last gasp so I had to have a new hard drive and motherboard. The loan computer he gave me while he was sorting out mine had Windows 7 which I hated for all of 24 hours then phoned and said to please get W7 for me.

Box #3 - a tiny shoe box size very shiny black box with a new hard drive and a new motherboard. Internal power switch packed up. Loan computer back while Effie tried to get a new internal power switch - or whatever it was. He could not get one so then came

Box #4 with all the innards from box #3 transferred into it. The CD/DVD tray was sticking so Effie came round to fit a new one, opened up the box and said oh oh, another capacitor on the motherboard had blown. Motherboard still under guarantee so back came the loan computer while Effie took Box #4 to get the motherboard replaced. That motherboard packed up a few months later.

[I guess I am unlucky with motherboards!]

So really I cannot answer your OP because it is like the 500 year old axe which has had umpteen new handles and umpteen new heads but is still 500 years old.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Probably every 4 years, roughly. Not by choice though - the **** things keep dying on me. I still can't sort out the PC problems I've been having.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I have had my current laptop for around 5 or 6 years, but am seriously thinking of upgrading to a new one and letting the kids use this one for games and homework etc.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >