View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Ok i am gona butt in now......most good breeders sell pups through recomendation word will soon get round if a good litter is born .now i'm not saying ads are wrong but what I am saying is surly word of mouth is better
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
yep.. agree fully with both

I don't believe in breeding to make money, breeding many different breeds, or many litters a year.

I personally would only want a puppy from a litter which the breeder has bred for him or herself. Why? Because I think we put more care into things that are for us, and not just things that are for sale...

Stupid analogy: when I cook for myself I wash vegetables fully and trim the fat off meat.... in some cafe or fast food place I doubt someone would go to that much trouble.... therefore I am more comfortable eating food I have prepared myself.

I bought a pup from a breeder that trims the fat off the meat, so to speak, because she wanted to keep a pup from that litter! (and ended up keeping 2!)

Does this make sense? lol
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043

You make me laugh!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
:smt043 :smt043 :smt043

You make me laugh!
sorry it made sense in my head
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by tuti
sorry it made sense in my head
I know, that's how I feel most days!
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2005, 10:56 PM
Your right Inca, anyone can pick up a paper and flick through the puppy section and think I know what lets buy a pup. You know if people have enquired about pups before their even born and took the time and effort to contact different breeders that their serious about wanting to give that pup the best home possible, and this is a good sign to the breeder that all is going to be well.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
I know, that's how I feel most days!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2005, 10:57 PM
The saying goes you get what you pay for and that is true of dogs too. If I don't want a pedigree dog or can't afford to pay a lot for a dog I will go to a rescue centre . If I want a pedigree dog I will seek out the best breeders through the breed clubs and kennel club approved breeder scheme, put my name down and be prepared to wait .

I would never ever buy or sell through cheap newspapers, they are the territory of puppy farmers who wait for the unsuspecting purchaser and IMO they are to be avoided at all costs.

Look at it another way, if you were not eligible for the approved breeder scheme or the breed clubs, your puppies were from parents who were not health tested, you had a constant supply of sick or nervous puppies to sell where would you go to sell those puppies ?.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by annestaff
Your right Inca, anyone can pick up a paper and flick through the puppy section and think I know what lets buy a pup. You know if people have enquired about pups before their even born and took the time and effort to contact different breeders that their serious about wanting to give that pup the best home possible, and this is a good sign to the breeder that all is going to be well.
Exactly, that's what I meant to put! It's just taken me 20 posts to make my point instead!

Really though, I've been thinking about getting another pup for a while now and when I finally do I'll probably have travelled hundreds of miles and I'll have thought about it for nearly 2 years by the time I actually get my pup! But if that's what it takes to get the dog I want then that's what I'll do.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
The saying goes you get what you pay for and that is true of dogs too. If I don't want a pedigree dog or can't afford to pay a lot for a dog I will go to a rescue centre . If I want a pedigree dog I will seek out the best breeders through the breed clubs and kennel club approved breeder scheme, put my name down and be prepared to wait .

I would never ever buy or sell through cheap newspapers, they are the territory of puppy farmers who wait for the unsuspecting purchaser and IMO they are to be avoided at all costs.

Look at it another way, if you were not eligible for the approved breeder scheme or the breed clubs, your puppies were from parents who were not health tested, you had a constant supply of sick or nervous puppies to sell where would you go to sell those puppies ?.

Excellent point mini
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha

you say that puppy farmers advertise in cheap papers you must be aware that i have been classed as a puppy farmer but yet i still advertise in cheap news papers and web site and yes even at the kennel club puppy sales registar and yes i do get a lot of my custermers from word of mouth or repeat buyers who have been happy with the pups they have bought in the past. not every one is as bad as every one make out you are not a bad breeder just because you advertise in papers alot of rare breeds have to be advertised as not many ppl will know about that breed so you have to start from someware
Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »