register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Should people who have given up a dog previously be allowed to rescue another?
NO absolutely not 8 11.94%
YES why not? 1 1.49%
Yes but with certain conditions -if so list them if possible 1 1.49%
Dependent on reason for previous rehome?- again whats acceptable? 57 85.07%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
you wont get shot down from me hunny as thats how i feel about my own baby !! I think thats why its such a difficult one for me....
Thanks, Dani.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 09:24 PM
I voted for the fourth option because I can imagine some circumstances where it might be impossible to keep a dog e.g. illness or being made homeless
I think its really hard to give advice without meeting the people. My gut feeling would be if you're not happy then better safe than sorry, but the chance of a home with them might be better for some dogs than months in kennels. It depends a lot on the circumstances.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Hi,

If you're worried still after you've met the other family member, maybe you could suggest that they foster for a while before taking on another dog permanently? Thsi way they get used to having a dog/dogs around the house and the once the foster dogs go to their forever home, they woul dbe in a better position to make an informed choice about having a dog 24/7.

Also, you could ask any outstanding questrions/queries you have of the remaining family member. If there are any answers you're not happy with then delve further and ask more, until you're 100% satisfied that they've answered everything you need them to.

I know it's a general homecheck but the more information you have now, the easier it will be to make that final decision.

Laura xx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

If you're worried still after you've met the other family member, maybe you could suggest that they foster for a while before taking on another dog permanently? Thsi way they get used to having a dog/dogs around the house and the once the foster dogs go to their forever home, they woul dbe in a better position to make an informed choice about having a dog 24/7.

Also, you could ask any outstanding questrions/queries you have of the remaining family member. If there are any answers you're not happy with then delve further and ask more, until you're 100% satisfied that they've answered everything you need them to.

I know it's a general homecheck but the more information you have now, the easier it will be to make that final decision.

Laura xx
thanks Laura, I am going to go back tommorow and see how I feel about it then. TBH I think I am verring on saying no, but I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Having said that they could have lied about the dogs previously and I would pass them wouldnt I ??? arrggghhhh
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I chose the 4rth option as I know people can get into situations where they are made homeless - eviction due to compulsary purchase, relationship break up etc where they can't take their dog - having said that I'd sleep in my car or a tent or go to a friends who would let me have my dog (My dad always said to me don't ever buy/rent a house with a partner that you can't afford to pay for on your own and I think those were wise words but then I don't have kids and I guess they need a bigger house!)

So for me loss of job therefore loss of money therefore loss of ability to pay for dogs care would be a good reason. And break down of relationship due to abuse violence etc where you just can't stay is also a good reason as there are far to few hostels allow pets. Also,if a rescue (or non rescue), has/develops dog aggression towards an existing pet and the fosterers have tried repeatedly to overcome that with help and without success.

Dani, you go with what you think Hun, that's why they let you do homechecks, they trust your judgement, it maybe after another chat your fears are lessened as I guess even the "perfect" home can fall apart but I think it is fantastic that you are thinking ahead and way down the line and doing what is best for the dog. Obviously the rescue has to be contacted immediately should anything go wrong that HAS to be a condition.

Good luck x
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Threads like this make me so grateful that I don't get involved in homechecks or assessments. Such a dificult job and hats off to you guys that do.

Six years...that bugs me. I just can't see myself able to do that. I want my fosters to go into a family as part of that family and not an option to leave behind when inconvenient.

People make mistakes. Sometimes we learn. If they're not emphasising how different they would play things now then I'd not want a foster of mine to go there.

Tough call - good luck.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2009, 11:38 PM
If in doubt,do nought.I was told that years ago and I have found that when I ignore it I often wish I hadn't, but you have to go with your own gut instinct.We had one of our dogs from a rescue and he has had 2 homes as far as we can make out and he was only just turned one year old when we had him, hes a good boy but a bit insecure not surprising really, so its good you are thinking long term for the dog, circumstances change, but do mind sets?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Hi,

Exactly what is it that making you consider refusing/rejecting them for a rescue dog? Is it purely what happened with their previous dogs? If it has something to do with their hiwtory with dogs then I think you should ask questions that will give answers to show whether they would do anything different now. If not, again, say no. If they would cahnge try to find out to what ezxtent.

As I said before, you'd have to kill me to g4te my dogs away from me. And when it comes to a marriage breakdown, loss of a job etc or any situatrion where money is tight, in my opinion the dog should always come first. My dogs eat better than I do so if I run out of money, it's me who goes hungry. I don't understand anyone doing anything different to that but I am a litte stubborn when it comes to doggy welfare.

Basically, if you have ANY doubts at all or answers to questions you're not happy with then say no. Or at least discuss the case with a manager/supervisor at the recue so they're aware of your concerns and why. They may be able t put a different slant on it for you.

Laura xx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

Exactly what is it that making you consider refusing/rejecting them for a rescue dog? Is it purely what happened with their previous dogs? If it has something to do with their hiwtory with dogs then I think you should ask questions that will give answers to show whether they would do anything different now. If not, again, say no. If they would cahnge try to find out to what ezxtent.

As I said before, you'd have to kill me to g4te my dogs away from me. And when it comes to a marriage breakdown, loss of a job etc or any situatrion where money is tight, in my opinion the dog should always come first. My dogs eat better than I do so if I run out of money, it's me who goes hungry. I don't understand anyone doing anything different to that but I am a litte stubborn when it comes to doggy welfare.

Basically, if you have ANY doubts at all or answers to questions you're not happy with then say no. Or at least discuss the case with a manager/supervisor at the recue so they're aware of your concerns and why. They may be able t put a different slant on it for you.

Laura xx
Even if it is in the best interest of your dog? People often give up the dog for the dogs sake...the dog isn't getting enough attention/exercise etc...
Example....
Husband and wife, 2 small kids, mum works part time so she can look after kids and dad works shifts.
Dad gets sick...not enough sick cover from work, mum has to go to work full time but doesn't make as much as dad did, let alone what dad did with what she did part time. They do not qualify for any benefits etc...falling just above the margin.
Dad tires easily and is in and out of hospital.
Kids are often cared for by family/friends until mum is home from work.
Their 2 dogs (aged 6 and 4 and who are a high energy breed) used to be offlead 2 hours a day (when children were in school)...that only happens at weekends now for half an hour IF they are lucky. Can't afford a dog walker and because they have 2 that are bouncy they feel they can't keep asking others to walk them on a daily basis.
Dogs are bored (depite kongs and bits of training as and when) and causing mayhem.

Long term prognosis for dad is poor....

Dogs are adored...but needs are not being met and won't be met for a long time with the way the situation is....what do they do?

Similar scenario...except dad isn't ill he's an idiot and parents divorce. Dad won't pay out to mum (which will be sorted long term but not short term) he won't do anything with the dogs...mum is working full time and has a bar job at night this JUST makes ends meet. What does mum do with the dogs?
(I made up both scenarios, but it wasn't hard to do...things like that happen all the time),
As for not eating if there is no money, I agree with you, the food would go to my dogs first...but before that...children. Sometimes...people don't even have enough money to keep a roof over their heads, let alone buy food.

I don't think it is fair to judge people or to say 'I would never,ever, give up my dogs' because you just don't know. Life is pants most of the time and you don't know what it will throw at you next.

'There but for the grace of God go I'...even if you are not religious the sentiment is the same. You just never know what is around the next corner. It's easy to type away and say 'I wouldn't do that' but one day you may have to.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2009, 07:16 AM
I have been in this stuation and turned them down,................. but it was beccause they didn't tell me they had to rehome their previous dog, i found out when i did the vets reference for me at this point all trust had gone. Circumstances do change and i think if they had been honest i would have probably let it go. For me its go with your gut, find out exactly why they rehomed the dog iif its genuine then maybe your feelings will change, if they don''t then i think the best bet is to turn them down, its got to be the right home for the dog not a home at any cost JMO
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >