View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Maybe some breeders think its too much bother to correct a bad tail set and start looking again in a breed that you cant assess properly as yet as they cant see what they maybe breeding too?
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
Maybe some breeders think its too much bother to correct a bad tail set and start looking again in a breed that you cant assess properly as yet as they cant see what they maybe breeding too?

I think you might have something there Sarah

Debs
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by SarahJ View Post
Absolutely correct, it may take 10 - 15 years to get the tail-set right, that's if the gnomes in the KC can decide what it should be like.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Absolutely correct, it may take 10 - 15 years to get the tail-set right, that's if the gnomes in the KC can decide what it should be like.
I agree with you there, but surely it is the "Breed Council" who decides on a "tail carriage" not the KC,
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-11-2007, 11:42 AM
To reiterate on my original post, one of the rotts that was not placed in the limit class went on to win AV, it was a large class and the lady was chuffed to bits, and quite rightly so, I've watched her dog "Seamus" since she first went into the ring with him in June 2005, (he won BP at that one) he'll be 3 in december, he's done very well at shows all over UK.

That's why I was so shocked at the judges decision, definitely a political one IMO.

But as they say, "that's showbusiness".
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2007, 03:09 PM
ALL rottie breeders (as that is the breed mentioned here) should have been breeding for (amongst everything else) the correct tails set since they started! The KC have ALWAYS stated what the tail set should be.

What Sarah was saying is that if they have a tail set problem then they should have been addressing it long before now as it's always been in the standard but is often overlooked in docked breeds due to the lack of tail coming off it!

If you're going to make comments at least make them accurately. What you were attempting to describe is, I would imagine, tail carriage - a completely different thing.

Debs
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks debs i dont really have clue lol but in our breed you can obviously see a low/high set before you actually see the tail, lack of a tail may give them some leaway? i'm not sure but i presume what has been overlooked previously cant be now with a full tail?

So breeders previously getting away with it are now troubled as their line could be in some sort of turmoil? but then again in our breed tail set isnt the be all and end all it can be overlooked if the dane has other good attributes...
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by surannon View Post
ALL rottie breeders (as that is the breed mentioned here) should have been breeding for (amongst everything else) the correct tails set since they started! The KC have ALWAYS stated what the tail set should be.

What Sarah was saying is that if they have a tail set problem then they should have been addressing it long before now as it's always been in the standard but is often overlooked in docked breeds due to the lack of tail coming off it!

If you're going to make comments at least make them accurately. What you were attempting to describe is, I would imagine, tail carriage - a completely different thing.

Debs
How the hell's the KC gonna state what a tail set should be in a rottie, rotts have never had one, THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE BREED STANDARD.
They'll have to wait and see what tails are gonna look like, then have commitee meetings to decide what's right and what's not. (if they aint done that already)

I've seen all sorts of tails on rotts, husky, lab, bushy, etc, in the case of an excessively bushy tail were gonna see them clipped, what a load of cr@p just to satisfy an idiotic act that should never has been passed.

I read a comment on here months ago that rottie owners whos dogs had tails were being penalised, well, it went the other way on sunday did'nt it.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2007, 09:31 AM
It's not the KC that did the Rottie breed standard but the breed people so don't have a go at the KC. There has been a tail clause in these docked breeds for years now and that was done by the breed clubs too so anything that is wrong with the breed standard is down to Rottie people!
You really need to see past your dislike of the KC and tails, it isn't going to go away, docking is no longer allowed, feel free to say you don't agree with it but there is no point getting so irate over things you can no longer influence. However, I have to say reading the ads on several different puppy sale sites I can't see that there have been difficulties in selling tailed rotties or dobes or any other breed as there don't appear to be that many left unsold. Apart from the usual males because for some reason everyone prefers girls
Becky
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2007, 09:37 AM
How the hell's the KC gonna state what a tail set should be in a rottie, rotts have never had one, THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE BREED STANDARD.
They'll have to wait and see what tails are gonna look like, then have commitee meetings to decide what's right and what's not. (if they aint done that already)

I've seen all sorts of tails on rotts, husky, lab, bushy, etc, in the case of an excessively bushy tail were gonna see them clipped, what a load of cr@p just to satisfy an idiotic act that should never has been passed.

I read a comment on here months ago that rottie owners whos dogs had tails were being penalised, well, it went the other way on sunday did'nt it.
You're still getting your terminology wrong. And it really does matter when talking about docked and undocked tails.

The tail SET has ALWAYS been in the standard. This is taken from an older breed standards book...

"Tail: Docked at first joint. Strong and not set too low. Normally carried horizontally but slightly above horizontal when dog is alert.

That's from a book published in 1985.

Do you even know the difference between tail set and tail carriage? Please say if you don't and I will endeavour to explain.

Debs
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >