View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2008, 09:41 AM

should i be worried (puppy mounting children during play)

my 4 month old border terrier was playing with my 10 yr old son yesteerday he was rolling a ball and she was getting it and in his other hand he had another ball which he rolled ans she coll that one i watched them and they were having fun then out of nowhere SHE started mounting my son! we though it was funny until my daughter said she had started doing it to her leg that evening as well. i know bitches do mount other dogs my other bitch does it to my other dog but its more of a dominance thing with her than sexual. could the pup be trying to dominate my kids?
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2008, 09:48 AM
She is probably getting a bit too excited because of the fun game, it has nothing to do with dominance. Lots of puppies do it when they are having too much fun. You can tell your kids to end the game and walk away when she does it, that way she will learn that the fun stops when she gets too excited. :smt001
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2008, 09:50 AM
I agre with the above...puppies don't tend to mount as a sexual thing, ore of an overexcited thing....and a practising but I don't know what thing!!!!!!
As above, say 'no' and end the game.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
my 4 month old border terrier was playing with my 10 yr old son yesteerday he was rolling a ball and she was getting it and in his other hand he had another ball which he rolled ans she coll that one i watched them and they were having fun then out of nowhere SHE started mounting my son! we though it was funny until my daughter said she had started doing it to her leg that evening as well. i know bitches do mount other dogs my other bitch does it to my other dog but its more of a dominance thing with her than sexual. could the pup be trying to dominate my kids?
Hi Angied when left with their litter mates puppies naturally 'practise 'all kinds of adult behaviour (similar to children behind the bike sheds ) and when they are with humans some continue to practise some behaviour inappropriately.

See the bit highlighted above? When small puppies 'mount', people often think it is amusing and laugh which actually encourages the puppy to repeat the behaviour, a better thing to do is to stop the game immediately/ ignore the puppy /walk away/ no word no eye contact and never laugh so you are not rewarding the behaviour with a reaction/attention
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
hi thanks for all your replies ill try saying no and stop the kids playing if she does it again