View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 06:14 AM

Dogs poisened in Cross Hills (Yorkshire)

This is not far from me :0(

Eight dogs that died after being walked along a popular North Yorkshire footpath may have been deliberately poisoned, the RSPCA has said.

The dogs had seizures and died after being walked on a path off Station Road in Cross Hills near Keighley between 20 May and 25 May.

Anyone with information has been asked to contact North Yorkshire Police or the RSPCA.

The footpath has been cordoned off while tests are carried out.
'Suffered horrendously'

Blue-green algae in a nearby lake has been ruled out as a cause following Environment Agency tests.

Sally Ramsden, RSPCA animal welfare officer, said: "We don't know what could be causing this but we strongly suspect that the dogs may have been poisoned.

"We also cannot rule out the possibility that this is being done deliberately.

"These dogs have suffered horrendously and we desperately need to hear from anyone who has information about these incidents."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-13601867
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Frightening. Sounds like someone possibly ha a vendetta against dogs. Or maybe someone has put something down that is toxic not understanding the problems they have caused whichever it is it must be horrible to lose a dog in this way.
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:06 PM
tragic i just saw it on the news

If the person responsible gets caught, i think he/she should be liable for all damages and loss of peoples dogs. Each owner affected should legally be able to press charges and prosecute them for what they have done. The bill could run into hundreds and thousands of pounds.

If they dont have the money.... send them to prison for ten years - per dog.

I also have a solution to cut down costs, instead of feeding this person human food they can have bakers complete dried food, and a fresh bowl of water once every few days. (we dont want the water metre being ran up) Bed wise, plenty of nice mattresses get dumped in land fill every day. Let them have one of those and be bitten by bed bugs and cut by broken springs.
If they do not like it, then simply remove the dried food (they will eat when hungry) and take away the mattress.
Problem solved. I also have a nice big shed at the bottom of my garden not going to good use, i'm prepared to use it to hold this person in free of charge to the tax payer.
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Sounds like rat poison.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:14 PM
It will be interesting to see what the actual cause of these deaths are; I saw a vet being interviewed this evening and they are carrying out a post mortem on one of the dog so hopefully the cause will be identified.

Until then we will not know if this was a deliberate malicious act, negligence or a terrible accident.

I hope it was the latter........
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 06:39 AM
We had the same thing here about 6 months ago at a well known beauty spot/walk. Several dogs died, turned out it was poison.

Heartbreaking for the poor owners
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 11:25 AM
That is so sad i really hope this wasnt intentional, and malicious. It will be interesting to hear what the post mortem reveals as that cause.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Might be more on the lunchtime news I hope. I can't imagine how the poor people must feel in that area with dogs who need walking

We had something similar a few years ago, 6 dogs died, turned out it was some nutter leaving food in the long grass for the foxes, and then some even worse moron putting rat poison on it to kill the foxes she was trying to save!!! 6 dogs died!!! For what!!! They found out who it was though and he's since moved!