Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I liked the dogs OK, she wasnt so great to watch but lovely entrance
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:19 PM
I missed most of Donelda's routine-was it good? It is so hard to work 2 dogs at the same time, I really admire her.

The lad who came 1st lives near me, he is really sweet-looking!. I think he is going to win.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 09:56 PM
She (lady with the dogs) didn't impress me much TBH, but maybe I'm hard to please! I don't think the dancing dogs acts are very original as they have been done again and again.

Not sure why the boy on the piano got through as I didn't think his skills were anything out of the ordinary at all. Much preferred the guy on the bike -- he was talented!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:03 AM
I saw a trailer for it the other day and was concerned to see so many children entering.
IMO it`s abusive. As we run theatre groups, we get `stage mums` with sad and reluctant children, plus the deluded ones who have convinced their lumpish child that they are The Next Big Thing - mainly with an eye on the income - and those basking in reflected glory of a talented child. It`s very sad.
The acts I saw were not exceptional, but the kids were built up to believe they were `awesome`. There are hundreds of equally talented children out there whose parents have the sense to realise that early promise can wither if not nurtured correctly.
We advise talented children to work hard at school and apply to college. Not to fall for the expensive round of Stage Schools, agents and auditions.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:19 AM
I am not sure I agree with your post. Surely it is not abusive per se for children to enter talent contests?

Could not the same be said for the animals?

Is it not down to whether or not the parent/owner is responsible or not?

I am sure there ARE some abusive parents and dog owners out there, but I do not think that entering contests per se can be classed as "abusive"!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:44 AM
On that basis you could call Tom Daleys dad abusive----and that he certainly was not.

I think there are some parents who push---TBH I have done it myself on occassion. Until an agility friend told me I was behaving like a pony club mother. Then I took a step back and decided she was right. It is very easy to want your child to be noticed for whatever they happen to be good at in your eyes.

It is a huge occassion for the kids but hopefully they will survive it and enjoy it.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I saw a trailer for it the other day and was concerned to see so many children entering.
IMO it`s abusive. As we run theatre groups, we get `stage mums` with sad and reluctant children, plus the deluded ones who have convinced their lumpish child that they are The Next Big Thing - mainly with an eye on the income - and those basking in reflected glory of a talented child. It`s very sad.
The acts I saw were not exceptional, but the kids were built up to believe they were `awesome`. There are hundreds of equally talented children out there whose parents have the sense to realise that early promise can wither if not nurtured correctly.
We advise talented children to work hard at school and apply to college. Not to fall for the expensive round of Stage Schools, agents and auditions.
Yes i guess there is a fine line between being supportive or giving kids unrealistic ideas of their own ability

and helping your kid try and achieve their dream - or pushing them to fulfill your dream
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes i guess there is a fine line between being supportive or giving kids unrealistic ideas of their own ability

and helping your kid try and achieve their dream - or pushing them to fulfill your dream
Do you remember the extremely fat girl with the dress like a meringue who couldn't sing and her parents were there saying she was really good? Never forget that poor girl-how embarrasing!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Well hopefully the poor poodle can now retire................................
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well hopefully the poor poodle can now retire................................
Hopefully!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3