i agree

.... no im not likely to be attacked by one,thanks
Your welcome.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by borderladysue View Post
"Foxes are wild animals and should be treated with respect. This includes respecting their wildness and not encouraging them to lose their natural wariness of humans.
Totally agree!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
i have lived in the countryside for 50 years and only seen 1-2, glad to hear you have not been attacked lets hope you never are.
I see more than 1-2 in a day so you can perhaps see why the urban fox is viewed differently.
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I see more than 1-2 in a day so you can perhaps see why the urban fox is viewed differently.
sorry, how has it been viewed differently?
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 03:10 PM
One of my friends has had foxes living in their garden for the last 10+ years. They always have their doors and windows open and have never had a fox come indoors, attack their dogs or cats or the white doves they have. The fox cubs play on the lawn every morning and bring my friends alot of pleasure with their antics.

I hate to read and hear about this ridiculous and ignorant scare-mongering that is taking place now.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Having lived in London my entire life I know only too well how bold urban foxes are, it's nothing new and they are everywhere in daylight hours as well as during the night. They boldly walk alongside you as you walk down the road, they are in full view and rarely move when they see you. I have 5 dogs and yet I'm constantly plagued by foxes in the back garden, they sunbathe on the shed roof and will come right upto the french doors and sit looking though the glass at you. I have cats and they're not bothered by them, I have witnessed my cats chasing foxes off. I think the foxes are just trying to survive, and find a place in which they can exist amongst other urban life. I was surprised to hear people were having problems with foxes going into their homes as there is so much scope for scavanging without putting themselves at risk. We don't have wheelie bins we still have to use plastic sacks for rubbish so anyone putting their rubbish out more than about an hour before the dustcarts arrive result in bags being ripped open and rubbish strewn everwhere. Lots of people obviously can't avoid putting rubbish out either the night before or early morning, resulting in the bags being ripped apart and waste food, nappies etc being liberally distributed around others gardens etc. They have easy access to food sources which is why there are so many of them.
Well i do, my daughter and her family live in a lovely leafy suberb in Bournemouth and on one of my usual visits i got up one morning about 7am and took my coffee outside to enjoy the birds singing when i got the shock and scare of my life, from behind her greenhouse very casually walked a fox, into the middle of the lawn where the morning sun was looked at me and laid down, well talk about ***t yourself i think i would have outrun lynford christy, we laughed after but a couple of weeks ago my daughter heard my grandson at the open patio window doing the sit command, (as he dose with our dog when he comes to stay, he loves it) she thought he had one of his dog toys out so popped her head round the door to watch him, but he was actually standing at the open window looking out side and when she looked there was a fox standing watching him (and quite close) its head down like stalking. she got intouch with the borough council and put intouch with various other sections but was told this is becoming so common they are becoming very BRAVE i think the term was. SO NOTHING WOULD SUPRISE ME.

They are so common place in London that what s**t the life out of you wouldn't even raise an eyebrow here, and it's nothing new it's been this way for at least 30 years. We're not encouraging them to become less wild they are evolving and adapting to their environment.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
One of my friends has had foxes living in their garden for the last 10+ years. They always have their doors and windows open and have never had a fox come indoors, attack their dogs or cats or the white doves they have. The fox cubs play on the lawn every morning and bring my friends alot of pleasure with their antics.

I hate to read and hear about this ridiculous and ignorant scare-mongering that is taking place now.
Crazy eh? posting pictures of a fox trying to get a cat...wow, because that never happens in the real world?!

Hold on to your babies folks, because we now know there are evil baby biting foxes on the loose!
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-06-2010, 03:32 PM
They are so common place in London that what s**t the life out of you wouldn't even raise an eyebrow here, and it's nothing new it's been this way for at least 30 years. We're not encouraging them to become less wild they are evolving and adapting to their environment.
Yes i agree but what is encouraging this evolution and adapting of a wild animal? is it because we have lost respect for their wildness and so encouraging them to adapt to an environment where their natural instinct of flight from an unnatural situation for them disappears.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

08-06-2010, 03:46 PM
How are we encouraging them ? mostly they are left to their own devices, they live on scavanging from rubbish bags and clearly around here seem to be doing rather well as they look healthy and well fed and are plentiful. You may get the odd person who puts food out for them but they would be in the minority as there really is no need. We try to keep rubbish out of the way until the last possible moment but wheelie bins would no doubt help. Garages round here are used for storing rubbish not for parking the car, that stays out on the drive. I am forever retrieving nappies etc from under the bushes and putting them in the rubbish bags. When I encounter them at close quarters as long as they are not doing any harm I leave them be, they choose to sunbathe on the shed roof in full sight rather than venture into the undergrowth in the park, obviously they feel safer up on the roof away from predators. I don't feel the need to do anything about them tbh as they are doing no harm locally, I'm happy to live and let live and have adapted to having daily encounters just as they are adapting to living cheek by jowl with us. I have no problem with urban foxes they've been a part of life in london for so long. London really isn't the wasteland many believe it to be.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
No, its not "nature" nor is it "natural" for a Fox to be A, out in broad daylight, B, for it to attack an adult healthy Cat, and C, for it to be in an urban well populated area.

They need culling in huge numbers.
Agree with this 100%

Im not saying there should be an immediate cull, but in around november when there are no nursing vixens, there should be culling of urban foxes in areas that are known to be highly populated by them.

It is not just down to this one attack, what this attack has done is brought the problem that is urban foxes, into the spotlight. They are a problem, and this attack just shows how much more braver they are getting.
The simple and obvious solution is culling.
Page 13 of 20 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 > Last »